What type of deficiency is this? Stunted Amazon sword

B3TT45

Hi everyone!
I’m scouring the inter webs and am having a hard time finding the answer to this. I have ADA aqua soil and dose seachem flourish comp twice a week. I also added those pill supplements that come with aquasoil like root tabs around my plants.
I added this sword plant about 3 weeks ago and it’s already dumped all of its emersed leaves and throws a new leaf about every 4 days. They are coming in nicely and the plant clearly seems to be alive and growing except one problem, the leaves don’t grow out. They just stay short and bushy. The leaves look like they’re full-size but they don’t grow the stalk to get taller. Picture attached.
Anyone know what’s going on? I’m thinking of switching my fertilizer to easy green or using easy green on top of seachem, in the hopes that it encourages more growth. All insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• 672D674F-ED8D-4C9E-B688-BA96D73B79DD.jpeg
    672D674F-ED8D-4C9E-B688-BA96D73B79DD.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 41

Mudminnow

Perhaps it's just a young plant. If so, it will just take some time for it to grow larger.

B3TT45

Perhaps it's just a young plant. If so, it will just take some time for it to grow larger.
You would think that, but this is how it looked when I bought it 3 and a half weeks ago (center plant).
All the emersed leaves when I got it were nice and tall but the new submerged ones just don’t grow out.

Attachments

• D258C25C-701D-4908-BB37-6E7B4ED97B45.jpeg
    D258C25C-701D-4908-BB37-6E7B4ED97B45.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 30

Mudminnow

Well, it may be something else. But, I still suspect it just needs time. The underwater leaves are often shorter than the out of water leaves on the same plant. I'm assuming this is a low tech tank with relatively low light? If so, don't expect your plants to grow all that fast, especially when including their adjustment period.

B3TT45

Well, it may be something else. But, I still suspect it just needs time. The underwater leaves are often shorter than the out of water leaves on the same plant. I'm assuming this is a low tech tank with relatively low light? If so, don't expect your plants to grow all that fast, especially when including their adjustment period.
It is low tech, but I’m not sure if you would consider it low light. It doesn’t seem low to me at least, I use a Hygger programmable LED, 36 w, 1984 lumens. It can go really bright. My tank is 29 gal.

This is my first planted tank and I was hoping with the combination of aquasoil and dosing micros to see some crazy growth, yet I’m very much falling short on that. Or maybe I’m being impatient haha

Mudminnow

To me, it looks like you're off to a good start. If you want super fast growth, you'll need to add a CO2 system. The addition of CO2 will make your plants grow 5-10X faster. But, that means you'll need to do a lot more trimming and maintenance to keep up with all that growth. So, it's a bit of a trade off.

Cinabar

1984 lumens on a 29 gal sounds like a low light setup to me. I don’t know the exact model you have though, maybe play around with a light calculator like Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Light Calculator to get a better idea. Like others said though, it’s looking pretty good so far. Swords don’t need that much light anyway. If there’s one thing you need for this hobby it’s patience. Give it 2-3 months to adjust ;)

Flyfisha

Hi all,
I consider myself an experienced open air gardener but less than average with water plants after just 5 years in the hobby.

Something I would suggest is 25 days or 3 and a half weeks is not enough time for a plant to adjust from being moved around to multiply water parameters and multiply lighting schedules. The plant was most likely in a cardboard box for days last month wrapped in wet newspaper if it was lucky? The roots of all plants as well suffer each time we dig them out and move them.

Patience is not sold it has to be found B3TT45 .

B3TT45

1984 lumens on a 29 gal sounds like a low light setup to me. I don’t know the exact model you have though, maybe play around with a light calculator like Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Light Calculator to get a better idea. Like others said though, it’s looking pretty good so far. Swords don’t need that much light anyway. If there’s one thing you need for this hobby it’s patience. Give it 2-3 months to adjust ;)

When people say low-light, I imagine either a tank using those crappy yellow bulbs that come with an aquarium kit or just dim lighting. Am I wrong? My LEDs gets pretty dang bright. I can’t even leave the lights at 100%, I feel like it’ll burn the plants (and grows a bunch of algae when left that bright too).
What’s the parameter then that states whether something is low or high light?

I’ve tried playing with that calculator and I can’t get past the bulb type. No clue what type my LED is, doesn’t say on the manual. I just know my light is a Hygger 957 full spectrum 36 w.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement for patience, I just see all these videos and pictures of crazy 2 week plant growth without CO2 in new tanks that get me all frustrated that I can’t achieve that, despite my investment in aquasoil, flourish, and the Hygger. I’ve never had a green thumb anyways. I’ll tell my impatient brain to wait lol

Cinabar

When people say low-light, I imagine either a tank using those crappy yellow bulbs that come with an aquarium kit or just dim lighting. Am I wrong? My LEDs gets pretty dang bright. I can’t even leave the lights at 100%, I feel like it’ll burn the plants (and grows a bunch of algae when left that bright too).
What’s the parameter then that states whether something is low or high light?

I’ve tried playing with that calculator and I can’t get past the bulb type. No clue what type my LED is, doesn’t say on the manual. I just know my light is a Hygger 957 full spectrum 36 w.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement for patience, I just see all these videos and pictures of crazy 2 week plant growth without CO2 in new tanks that get me all frustrated that I can’t achieve that, despite my investment in aquasoil, flourish, and the Hygger. I’ve never had a green thumb anyways. I’ll tell my impatient brain to wait lol
Light level high or low depends on the depth of your tank and water clarity. Light has a really, really hard time penetrating water. A bulb on a shallow tank could be considered high light but the same bulb on a deeper tank might not be able to grow plants at all. A strong light on a blackwater tank would still be dim. Honestly, it's not all that important because most plants we have aren't too picky, unless you're trying to grow something rare and delicate. If you want to be nitpicky about it though, look into PAR. It's basically "how much usable light will reach the plants at this certain depth".

For reference, I also have a hygger light (i believe they use CREE LEDs, 0.2 watts per bulb) and my sword is very beefy. I actually had to pull it out today because it's shading out everything else. Longest leaves were 14+ inches! Took roughly six months to reach this point though, and it grew slowly for the first two. Don't worry, transitioning to submerged form is a long process but very interesting to observe.

B3TT45

Light level high or low depends on the depth of your tank and water clarity. Light has a really, really hard time penetrating water. A bulb on a shallow tank could be considered high light but the same bulb on a deeper tank might not be able to grow plants at all. A strong light on a blackwater tank would still be dim. Honestly, it's not all that important because most plants we have aren't too picky, unless you're trying to grow something rare and delicate. If you want to be nitpicky about it though, look into PAR. It's basically "how much usable light will reach the plants at this certain depth".

For reference, I also have a hygger light (i believe they use CREE LEDs, 0.2 watts per bulb) and my sword is very beefy. I actually had to pull it out today because it's shading out everything else. Longest leaves were 14+ inches! Took roughly six months to reach this point though, and it grew slowly for the first two. Don't worry, transitioning to submerged form is a long process but very interesting to observe.
According to the rotala calculator, my light has a PAR of 52, which would put it barely into the high light category. Don’t know how accurate this is though.
In terms of my sword, you guys have definitely given me a lot of reassurance that I just need time and that those youtubers with the crazy plant growth in low-tech tanks are doing some voodoo!

Do you still suggest that I supplement/switch my fert with easy green? Or should I just wait it out?

Halloween

I have limited experience, but I have set up a tank where I used trimmings and runners from one of my own together with store bought ones, and the growth rate was very apparent - my plants kept growing as if nothing happened, the store bought ones either melted a few leaves or stalled for the first three weeks.

I suspect the videos we watch of fast growth is the fact that people have their own stock of plants in similar water paremeters/light schedules.

Cinabar

I have limited experience, but I have set up a tank where I used trimmings and runners from one of my own together with store bought ones, and the growth rate was very apparent - my plants kept growing as if nothing happened, the store bought ones either melted a few leaves or stalled for the first three weeks.

I suspect the videos we watch of fast growth is the fact that people have their own stock of plants in similar water paremeters/light schedules.
Halloween makes such a good point. This is so important! Same as with fish, plants that are already adjusted to our water parameters will have a much easier time in general.

In terms of my sword, you guys have definitely given me a lot of reassurance that I just need time and that those youtubers with the crazy plant growth in low-tech tanks are doing some voodoo!

Do you still suggest that I supplement/switch my fert with easy green? Or should I just wait it out?
I would recommend waiting at least another month. You can add ferts if you really want to, but check your water parameters before doing so. No need to add more if you already have high nitrates. Besides, you already have a rich substrate and tabs. It’s normal for sword leaves to start out small. The next one it puts out will be a little larger, and the one after that will be even bigger, and so on.

B3TT45

Halloween makes such a good point. This is so important! Same as with fish, plants that are already adjusted to our water parameters will have a much easier time in general.

I would recommend waiting at least another month. You can add ferts if you really want to, but check your water parameters before doing so. No need to add more if you already have high nitrates. Besides, you already have a rich substrate and tabs. It’s normal for sword leaves to start out small. The next one it puts out will be a little larger, and the one after that will be even bigger, and so on.
You’re right about the sword leaves! They’re definitely growing in that pattern. I’ll wait a month and see how my plants are before deciding on adding a different fert. Thank you all so much for providing your knowledge and insight!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AP1
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
BeardedGenz
Replies
Views