What type of crayfish do I have?

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by DonaldJTrump, Jul 4, 2016.

1. D

DonaldJTrump Valued Member Member

Hello,

I've won a crayfish in school around December 2011. Since then, I've been caring him very well. I heard crayfish can only live for 2-3 years, but I guess my crayfish is very lucky. All of the other crayfish that my friends took died in less than 2 years.

His name is Mr. Cray and measures around 5 inches I believe. For a long time now, I've tried to find out what kind of crayfish I had. I hope now to unveil this mystery. Thank you!

Note these pictures were taken in 2012

IMAG0010.jpg IMAG0013.jpg

2. The Crayfish King

The Crayfish King Well Known Member Member

Definitely a wild colored Procambarus alleni

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I Would agree with you, but the op says his is 5 inches and these only get a max of 2.5 inches. I would say it's a marron( cherax tenuimnus)

4. The Crayfish King

Is he measuring from tail to head or tail to claw tips? Plus, Procambarus alleni definitely gets bigger than 2.5 inches.

5. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Look at this  

6. The Crayfish King

This is the only source I've seen with P. Alleni listed as 2.5". I've seen several sources listing them in the range of 4" give or take. I've also done extensive research on crayfish as a whole for both a recent school project and out of personal interest. A young P. alleni might be 2.5 inches, but one as old as op says would surely be very large. I used to have a crayfish that looked exactly like the pictures posted except he was blue. He reached 4 inches long in about one year.

7. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

Is there anyway to get current pics
    Maybe one from the front, top, bottom, and side?

8. OP
    OP
    D

DonaldJTrump Valued Member Member

He is 3-4 inches, counting the arms and tail

9. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

Does he have dots just below his eyes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice