What Type Of Cory?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by itsayes, Apr 14, 2017.

1. itsayesValued MemberMember

Saw this great looking cory I've never seen before at lfs. What is it?

20170413_175010_Film1.jpg

[​IMG]

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

3. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

C. saramccensis

Extremely rare species - always wild caught and imported (albeit very, very rarely).

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I agree that it looks alike but I seriously doubt it that species Mike. There is hardly any trade from Surinam and French Guyana where those are found.
    Besides of that I don't think this LFS (looking at the gravel) would get them cause of the enormous price those would be.

I expect it to be a look alike from another part of South America (Brasil??)
    Without the location they were caught they will be hardly / not to ID.

They are awesome btw.

5. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

I'm very skeptical myself, but I can't find a species that even vaguely resembles this fish.

Saramaccensis fits body shape, finnage and coloration very closely.

I've found some very rare mislabeled species at my LFS. They don't know what they're getting, they only know what they ordered and they sell accordingly.

To the OP, I'd pick up as many as possible. I really believe these are saramaccensis.

@chromedome52 @NavigatorBlack any thoughts here?

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I had a closer look at the (few) pics of C.saramaccensis.
    That fish is more or less a longsnout in my opinion.
    As said I doubt this specific lfs would find those woth an wholesaler and sell them.
    The price would be verrrrrry high,
    they wouldn't be held with C.aeneus in a displaytank, would be on other kind of gravel (They should be handeled like jewelry)
    There are a lot of other Corys (like ambiacus, ephippifer, aso) that show sooooo many different appearances (color spotting shape) that I only can imagine it's another type.
    C.punctatus is also sold "everywhere" though they aren't in the trade (same reason btw : found in Surinam, mainly in a preservation aerea).
    The last advice I agree with Mike for the fullest : Buy as many as you can keep hahahaha. They are awesome.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I just bumped into some lookalikes at facebook : Those were indeed ID-ed as C.ambiacus.

8. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

I'm not seeing it. Ambiacus is more stout. More spotting on the tail fin. Black line on the dorsal.

Buy them all. Buy them all. Buy them all.

9. itsayesValued MemberMember

Haha thanks for the input. I'll go back today and see if I can get some answers for sure. Will report back!

10. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Don't mention that you think they're saramaccensis! They'll charge you accordingly. Just buy the fish and figure out what they are afterwards.

Worst case scenario you have a beautiful morph of a not so common species; best case scenario you have a species that's RARELY brought into the US. If you can breed them people will pay.

11. itsayesValued MemberMember

Any link to the species you listed? Did a quick Google search and found nothing yet. Any idea of water requirements for them? I only have one established tank and several other empty/uncycled tanks at the moment.

Edit: guess I'll QT them anyway

12. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Search corydoras saramaccensis, you'll find them.

We're parameters would be slightly acidic, ph of 6.5 to 7.2, low level of dissolved solids.

If I'm right these are wild caught fish and will not do well if their parameters aren't close to the water they were taken from.

13. itsayesValued MemberMember

They only have 3

14. itsayesValued MemberMember

Worth getting or need 6?

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Labeled and priced as ?

16. itsayesValued MemberMember

Assorted cory cat $5.99

17. itsayesValued MemberMember

Waiting for somebody to help out. Its a pet store with fish, not a fish store. They do have a decent selection tho

18. itsayesValued MemberMember

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've bought healthy fish here before, but their angels have severe fin rot or something

[​IMG]

19. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I expect the mentioned corys to do 20 to 40 times this price. Another sign for me it aren't those. Beauties though, but I'd only get a group of 6 (+).

20. itsayesValued MemberMember

Fish guy came over and said they're c. melanistius

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice