What "type" of cockatoo cichlid has full red fins.

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by hgrad98, Jul 7, 2015.

1. h

hgrad98 Valued Member Member

I decided to get a pair of red cockatoo cichlids for my south american dwarf cichlid tank. The male's fins are all red. Completely. Excepting the 2 small ventral fins. What type of cockatoo cichlid is it? The store said double red, but I'm not too familiar with all the different types of cockatoos. Thanks.

I can post a picture later

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I believe double red is correct. LiveAquaria.com has them. Take a look and see if they're the same.

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

They are either double or triple red. Double reds have the dorsal and tail fin colored. Triple have the dorsal, tail, and anal fin colored.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Geoff, Thanks. I have checked liveaquaria already, and it's redder than that.

I'd say triple full red?

5. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Looks like it. With the red anal fin.

6. OP
    OP
    h

Ok thanks

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks to me like an Orange Flash, as it doesn't appear to have any black spotting in the fins. This is a derivative line that I think came out of the Triple Reds. It's very common in my region.

Personally, I like a nice wild male. The aquarium bred lines seem to have a lot of fin structure flaws in them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice