What type of catfish is this please?

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi all, i have tried to find this catfish on google but have no idea what
    im looking for. Does anyone know what type he is? I want to know if he
    is a tropical or cold water one. Thank you in advance!
    http://imgur.com/Rm9hbt0

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Yep that looks like him! Thanks coradee! And it says heated water 22-26c. They belong to my neighbor and there is 2 of them and is in cold water tank atm with 2 mollies and 3 rosy barbs. So after doing some research tonight, looks like my neighbor needs to buy a heater for his tank asap!

4. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Looks just like my little CAE.

Make sure your neighbor knows that mollies and barbs are both tropicals and need heat as well, and the barbs would do well to have a few more friends :)

5. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Ruth,
    Thank you, i have just told my neighbor and he is more than happy to get a heater and a few more barbs. I also told him he needs a log for his catfish to hide in :)

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It isn't a Catfish, it's a Sucking Loach, or "Chinese Algae Eater". They grow big, and get aggressive.

7. Secret Oasis Member Member

8. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Oasis,
    He has a 20L tank atm and i failed to read how big he would get. And he has actually got 2 of them in the tank! My neighbor is now freaking out. What should he do?

9. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Hampalong is right, they are known to get aggressive and large. Mine came with a group of fish I bought on Craigslist and he's great for algae control, so I'm letting him live in my 55g semi aggressive community for now. He's only about two inches now, but I decided that once he hits 5-6 inches or attacks/kills another fish, I'll either post an ad to rehome him or offer him to one of my LFS. If you ask around some fish stores will take fish for store credit.

I'm terrible with metrics, but wouldn't 20l be around 5g? If so he needs a bigger tank before he can get any more fishies. IMO a 5g is really only good for a betta, fry, or a hospital/quarantine.

10. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Ok so we have agreed to take the loaches back to the pet store in the morning and hope to get a credit for them.
    Yes the 20L tank isn't very big but its all he has got. He is thinking of a new tank so perhaps a bigger one might be on the cards now. Thanks guys :)

11. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I have six tanks right now, the biggest is 55g (two of those) and ALL of them are secondhand. My newest 55 cost $35 with all the filters, air pumps, gravel and a lot of really nice deco. Tell him to keep an eye on Craigslist, there are always great deals on there.

12. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think they have craigslist in Australia! They may have something similar, I would hope.

When I saw 20L, I assumed 20 gallon Long tank. It is normal to abbreviate litres with a small l, as 20l. This would be a ridiculously small tank for the fish listed. Mollies require much larger tanks, as do the barbs. If it were a long 20 gallon tank, it would be fine.

13. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I believe they have Gumtree. Like the UK. It's similar to Craig's List.

14. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

I just googled a 20 gallon long and that looks like a nice size tank! Looks like we need to look out for something of this size for the fish. Thank you all for the help!