What type of betta fish?

Sbetta

Reaction score
HI all, I am new here. I was recently told that all bettas with big tails, including half moons, exhibit unhealthy breeding practices. I wouldn’t want to support bad breeding but I am confused as to why half moons are considered a bad type to get. I understand why rosetails and double tails can be unhealthy, but I can’t find articles regarding half moons and how their fins and tails affect them. If anyone has an info, advice, articles or suggestions about this I would love to hear them.

rskogl2

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What do you mean by unhealthy breeding practices?

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is a thread I made outlining the majority of issues related to bettas.

Basically, the tail is very big and adds a lot of additional weight and drag. A halfmoon will likely begin to bite or nip at their tail in an effort to relieve this. This also results in difficulty moving in extreme cases. Additionally the larger size of it makes it a lot easier to get caught or sucked into things like filters and decor.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sbetta said:
HI all, I am new here. I was recently told that all bettas with big tails, including half moons, exhibit unhealthy breeding practices. I wouldn’t want to support bad breeding but I am confused as to why half moons are considered a bad type to get. I understand why rosetails and double tails can be unhealthy, but I can’t find articles regarding half moons and how their fins and tails affect them. If anyone has an info, advice, articles or suggestions about this I would love to hear them.
So the “type” of betta you’ll most likely get is a Betta Splendens. Halfmoons will nite they’re tails leading to infection because we’ve bred them to be “pretty” and not affective. What “unhealthy breeding” are you talking about? Most bettas are kept seldom with almond leaves to add tannins

OP
Sbetta

Sbetta

Reaction score
rskogl2 said:
What do you mean by unhealthy breeding practices?
Long story short I had posted on reddit the other day asking questions and many people in the comments were grilling me for wanting a half moon betta. I thought they were relatively common, but everyone was telling me they’re bad to get. I can’t find a reason why. I know they’re more prone to fin rot but that’s not always a given. So I’m not sure if it’s unhealthy to breed them but breeders do it anyway or if half moons have extreme health issues so it’s cruel to breed them?

CichlidJynx said:
So the “type” of betta you’ll most likely get is a Betta Splendens. Halfmoons will nite they’re tails leading to infection because we’ve bred them to be “pretty” and not affective. What “unhealthy breeding” are you talking about? Most bettas are kept seldom with almond leaves to add tannins
I was more wondering if it’s cruel to breed these types. Almost like how we breed pugs even though they have breathing issues. Thank you for the information.

Salem said:
Here is a thread I made outlining the majority of issues related to bettas.

Basically, the tail is very big and adds a lot of additional weight and drag. A halfmoon will likely begin to bite or nip at their tail in an effort to relieve this. This also results in difficulty moving in extreme cases. Additionally the larger size of it makes it a lot easier to get caught or sucked into things like filters and decor.
Thank you for the information. It is super helpful. What kind would you recommend I purchase?

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sbetta said:
Long story short I had posted on reddit the other day asking questions and many people in the comments were grilling me for wanting a half moon betta. I thought they were relatively common, but everyone was telling me they’re bad to get. I can’t find a reason why. I know they’re more prone to fin rot but that’s not always a given. So I’m not sure if it’s unhealthy to breed them but breeders do it anyway or if half moons have extreme health issues so it’s cruel to breed them?
It seems like your talking to “purist” and that’s coming from a SA/CA cichlid guy. Breed what brings you enjoyment as long as you have a plan for them

Sbetta said:
Thank you for the information. It is super helpful. What kind would you recommend I purchase?
I personally would get the plakat, they can handle a little bit more flow and swim easier. If you can spend the money macrostoma are a beautiful mouth brooder

OP
Sbetta

Sbetta

Reaction score
CichlidJynx said:
It seems like your talking to “purist” and that’s coming from a SA/CA cichlid guy. Breed what brings you enjoyment as long as you have a plan for them
Thank you for the insight.

CichlidJynx said:
I personally would get the plakat, they can handle a little bit more flow and swim easier. If you can spend the money macrostoma are a beautiful mouth brooder
Great! Another dumb question but is a halfmoon plakat still as bad as a regular halfmoon? I saw a few gorgeous ones.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sbetta said:
Great! Another dumb question but is a halfmoon plakat still as bad as a regular halfmoon? I saw a few gorgeous ones.
Not really, they just took and Halfmoon and plakat and bred them for slightly longer fins. If you can spend the money check out Franks Bettas, he’s got a whole bunch of wild bettas and they’re the prettiest bettas I’ve ever seen. And he ships!

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
I get what they are saying, but this is a pet. make quality of life the best you can is what you can do.

I have 1 with extra long fins and won't personally buy them again, but he's an awesome fish. I just have a lot of places he can perch. he's in a 6 gallon and swims the best he can but he is slower and less likely to move a lot versus my other bettas.

he is alert and curious, fantastic coloring imo. it's like foot binding in a way. he'll never swim normal but to him because he's been this way since almost birth he knows no other way to exist. He has a great quality of life other than these huge flowing fins.

*sorry my camera is garbage on my phone. I am thinking of swap him over to live plants hopefully in a few months. I have half my tanks with live plants. He has moss balls & the duck weed currently+ silk plants & 1 taller plastic one I added as extra perch a month ago.

imo - halfmoons are to me a non issue. I have 2 and they are excellent. the top fin is usually relaxed unless he stops for a dramatic pose & flares! lol. It's down against his body otherwise. it's only 180 degree. My mustard (col Mustard) and black betta fish ( Odin) are imo 2 beautiful bettas. the top fin only is raised when flaring, there's no impairment.

Look at that curl in Odin's fin as he turns. it's gorgeous.

Attachments

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sbetta said:
I personally think ethically the best kind to actually purchase would probably be a plakat or something. If you still want something with a bigger tail a veiltail or delta could be a good option as well. If you really do want specifically a halfmoon you could probably find one that's being rehomed if you want to avoid supporting their breeding.

brendadrummond

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Halfmoon in a tank with quite high flow (not adjustable, unfortunately) and he has no issues swimming at all. I do have a tall decoration right in front of the flow to break it up, but it’s still more than I’d like. I haven’t seen him nip at his tail yet either. No fin rot ever. He’s beautiful, and as long as you’re going to give him the proper care (frequent water changes, no sharp edges on decor, etc), get whatever one you fall in love with! This little guy was staring me down at the store, so that was all it took! Best of luck. Sounds like you’re already doing your research, which is a great start!

OP
Sbetta

Sbetta

Reaction score
Debbie1986 said:
I get what they are saying, but this is a pet. make quality of life the best you can is what you can do.

I have 1 with extra long fins and won't personally buy them again, but he's an awesome fish. I just have a lot of places he can perch. he's in a 6 gallon and swims the best he can but he is slower and less likely to move a lot versus my other bettas.

he is alert and curious, fantastic coloring imo. it's like foot binding in a way. he'll never swim normal but to him because he's been this way since almost birth he knows no other way to exist. He has a great quality of life other than these huge flowing fins.

*sorry my camera is garbage on my phone. I am thinking of swap him over to live plants hopefully in a few months. I have half my tanks with live plants. He has moss balls & the duck weed currently+ silk plants & 1 taller plastic one I added as extra perch a month ago.

imo - halfmoons are to me a non issue. I have 1 and they are excellent. the top fin is usually relaxed unless he stops for a dramatic pose & flares! lol. It's down against his body otherwise. it's only 180 degree. My mustard (col Mustard) and black betta fish ( Odin) are imo 2 beautiful bettas. the top fin only is raised when flaring, there's no impairment.
He’s gorgeous! I will take what you said into consideration, thank you. I am planning a 10 gallon planted tank, so hopefully quality of life is there.

Salem said:
I personally think ethically the best kind to actually purchase would probably be a plakat or something. If you still want something with a bigger tail a veiltail or delta could be a good option as well. If you really do want specifically a halfmoon you could probably find one that's being rehomed if you want to avoid supporting their breeding.
Thanks for the suggestion. That’s a good idea about looking for a rehome. I’d love to find one being kept in a bowl and then give him a huge heated tank with live plants. I think that’d be cool.

brendadrummond said:
I have a Halfmoon in a tank with quite high flow (not adjustable, unfortunately) and he has no issues swimming at all. I do have a tall decoration right in front of the flow to break it up, but it’s still more than I’d like. I haven’t seen him nip at his tail yet either. No fin rot ever. He’s beautiful, and as long as you’re going to give him the proper care (frequent water changes, no sharp edges on decor, etc), get whatever one you fall in love with! This little guy was staring me down at the store, so that was all it took! Best of luck. Sounds like you’re already doing your research, which is a great start!
Thank you for the information! I give so much time to my pets so he will definitely get all the care. I’ll take your words into consideration.

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since you brought up bad breeding, something to consider might be whom you're supporting by buying it. Since you mentioned dogs, you can purchase a breed that isn't known to have health issues, but if you purchase it from a puppymill, backyard breeder, or pet store supporting these situations then you'd still be supporting a less-than-noble cause.

rskogl2

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sbetta said:
Thank you for the information! I give so much time to my pets so he will definitely get all the care. I’ll take your words into consideration.
I think the fact that you came here and even asked the questions you’ve asked about Bettas means you’re more concerned about the animal than most people that just buy a 1.5g and a betta the same day and dump them in and wonder why there beloved “Squidward” died in two weeks. All you can do is your best by your animals and you’re on the right path by asking folks on here. Thumbs up for the effort regardless of what you choose to do!

OP
Sbetta

Sbetta

Reaction score
peddidle said:
Since you brought up bad breeding, something to consider might be whom you're supporting by buying it. Since you mentioned dogs, you can purchase a breed that isn't known to have health issues, but if you purchase it from a puppymill, backyard breeder, or pet store supporting these situations then you'd still be supporting a less-than-noble cause.
You bring up a very good point. Something I’ll have to look more into.

rskogl2 said:
I think the fact that you came here and even asked the questions you’ve asked about Bettas means you’re more concerned about the animal than most people that just buy a 1.5 gallon and a betta the same day and dump them in and wonder why there beloved “Squidward” died in two weeks. All you can do is your best by your animals and you’re on the right path by asking folks on here. Thumbs up for the effort regardless of what you choose to do!
Thank you so much! I’m a huge animal lover. Would never get a pet that I couldn’t give the absolute best to!

New Threads