What Type Of Algae Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SwankyThePirate, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SwankyThePirate

SwankyThePirateValued MemberMember

Hello! I had a question on what kind of algae is this? The one on the sand is different from the wall, and how can I get rid of it? I know the tank is in front of a window right now so that’s most likely the cause? I’m going to move it soon. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated! 515848A3-6FAE-4615-8928-6645E2BF21EE.jpeg

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

How long has it been there and how fast does it spread? It looks like kinda like cyanobacteria but not as filmy.

3. OP
    OP
    SwankyThePirate

yeah that’s what I was thinking, it’s been like this since the beginning of July and i cleaned the sand and everything and yesterday it was only a little bit had come back and today it’s like this, is it the lighting?

4. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

This might be Cyanobacteria which is not an algae at all but nevertheless. If it is you can use "Chemiclean" on it and it will destroy it. I had it and since I used chemiclean it has not returned.

5. MrBryan723

Then I would say it is cyanobacteria. Lighting can be part of the issue, along with poor water quality, too high of nitrates or even too low of nitrates. Do you have any other live plants in the tank? The best method I have found is hydrogen peroxide. If you use it you have to turn off your filter during treatment for about an hour or you will lose your cycle.

6. OP
    OP
    SwankyThePirate

just normal peroxide? It won’t hurt my fish

7. MrBryan723

Yup, the stuff you put on cuts. No it wont harm your fish unless you use a ton of it. I use about a tablespoon per gallon but I've used a lot more than that with no ill effects. It turns to oxeygen and water so it can actually be beneficial overall for your tank. Just again, turn off your filter during treatment for about an hour because it will kill your BB. Also a side effect is it replenishes the oxeygen in the water while your filter is off. You can also use it along with other treatments for faster results and you can use a dropper to spot treat if you would like.

8. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Agree! I'm battling cyano as well. I use h2o2 spot treatments now and then and don't exceed 1ml per gallon.

For me, I think my water has higher phophates and low nitrates. Cyano is better capable of using nitrogen than other algaes and why it tends to take over in ideal conditions for its growth.

I just learned that cyano doesn't have to have an odor and it can be many colors including red. Honestly I don't know how to distinguish been true algae and cyano, but if it comes back and blankets really quickly and smothers plant leaves, I'm assuming it's cyano.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. rainbowsprinkles

rainbowsprinklesWell Known MemberMember

I always get rid of it by increasing flow or aeration - they like low oxygen. Like between substrate and glass. Other things I found that helps but not as much as flow- Adding ferts - lets plants and bacteria complete with them better- also they can fix N into ammonia - They do well in low nitrate environments. They are also a problem with too much nitrates. Increase duration of lighting. They do best with intermittent high intensity light. In my experience They will actually decline if you have good light and leave it on longer.

10. angelcraze

Agreed. I got rid of it in one tank by adding water lettuce (was covered) and a powerhead. Tried different things, but that seemed to take it away completely. Then it started in the other tank! Didn't know about the light intensity thing tho, the cyano always appears where light is strongest. Or maybe it moves to where it gets the most light....
    Makes sense to provide enough light to all the plants to outcompete for nutrients.

11. rainbowsprinkles

rainbowsprinklesWell Known MemberMember

Many cyano species have photo inhibition. They like short periods of intense light and can be heterotrophic in low light but are sensitive to long periods of high light. Actually kills them . Opposite of what most people do. Here is a reference http://www.cees.iupui.edu/research/algal-toxicology/bloomfactors

12. angelcraze

Oh oops, I saw that link and missed that info. Interesting. I do have fluctuating light in some of my tanks. A split photoperiod. Guess I won't be doing one to get rid of cyano.

13. Tpane27

Tpane27Valued MemberMember

Does anyone have any info on getting rid of small amounts of red algae? The tank runs a fluval c3 five stage filter for up to 50 gallon tank. The tank is 20 gallons tall. The api master kit has 0 ammonia, 5 nitrates and 0 nitrites. Its gone down a little but still pops up here and there. Any thoughts?