Question What Type Of Algae

SwankyThePirate

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
44
Experience
2 years
Hello! I had a question on what kind of algae is this? The one on the sand is different from the wall, and how can I get rid of it? I know the tank is in front of a window right now so that’s most likely the cause? I’m going to move it soon. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated!
515848A3-6FAE-4615-8928-6645E2BF21EE.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
SwankyThePirate

SwankyThePirate

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
44
Experience
2 years
MrBryan723 said:
How long has it been there and how fast does it spread? It looks like kinda like cyanobacteria but not as filmy.
yeah that’s what I was thinking, it’s been like this since the beginning of July and I cleaned the sand and everything and yesterday it was only a little bit had come back and today it’s like this, is it the lighting?
 

mlash

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
65
Location
California
Experience
Just started
This might be Cyanobacteria which is not an algae at all but nevertheless. If it is you can use "Chemiclean" on it and it will destroy it. I had it and since I used chemiclean it has not returned.
 

MrBryan723

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,647
Reaction score
1,471
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
Then I would say it is cyanobacteria. Lighting can be part of the issue, along with poor water quality, too high of nitrates or even too low of nitrates. Do you have any other live plants in the tank? The best method I have found is hydrogen peroxide. If you use it you have to turn off your filter during treatment for about an hour or you will lose your cycle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
SwankyThePirate

SwankyThePirate

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
44
Experience
2 years
MrBryan723 said:
Then I would say it is cyanobacteria. Lighting can be part of the issue, along with poor water quality, too high of nitrates or even too low of nitrates. Do you have any other live plants in the tank? The best method I have found is hydrogen peroxide. If you use it you have to turn off your filter during treatment for about an hour or you will lose your cycle.
just normal peroxide? It won’t hurt my fish
 

MrBryan723

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,647
Reaction score
1,471
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, the stuff you put on cuts. No it won't harm your fish unless you use a ton of it. I use about a tablespoon per gallon but I've used a lot more than that with no ill effects. It turns to oxeygen and water so it can actually be beneficial overall for your tank. Just again, turn off your filter during treatment for about an hour because it will kill your BB. Also a side effect is it replenishes the oxeygen in the water while your filter is off. You can also use it along with other treatments for faster results and you can use a dropper to spot treat if you would like.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,983
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree! I'm battling cyano as well. I use h2o2 spot treatments now and then and don't exceed 1ml per gallon.

For me, I think my water has higher phophates and low nitrates. Cyano is better capable of using nitrogen than other algaes and why it tends to take over in ideal conditions for its growth.

I just learned that cyano doesn't have to have an odor and it can be many colors including red. Honestly I don't know how to distinguish been true algae and cyano, but if it comes back and blankets really quickly and smothers plant leaves, I'm assuming it's cyano.
 

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known
Member
Messages
974
Reaction score
705
Experience
More than 10 years
I always get rid of it by increasing flow or aeration - they like low oxygen. Like between substrate and glass. Other things I found that helps but not as much as flow- Adding ferts - lets plants and bacteria complete with them better- also they can fix N into ammonia - They do well in low nitrate environments. They are also a problem with too much nitrates. Increase duration of lighting. They do best with intermittent high intensity light. In my experience They will actually decline if you have good light and leave it on longer.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,983
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
rainbowsprinkles said:
I always get rid of it by increasing flow or aeration - they like low oxygen. Like between substrate and glass. Other things I found that helps but not as much as flow- Adding ferts - lets plants and bacteria complete with them better- also they can fix N into ammonia - They do well in low nitrate environments. They are also a problem with too much nitrates. Increase duration of lighting. They do best with intermittent high intensity light. In my experience They will actually decline if you have good light and leave it on longer.
Agreed. I got rid of it in one tank by adding water lettuce (was covered) and a powerhead. Tried different things, but that seemed to take it away completely. Then it started in the other tank! Didn't know about the light intensity thing tho, the cyano always appears where light is strongest. Or maybe it moves to where it gets the most light....
Makes sense to provide enough light to all the plants to outcompete for nutrients.
 

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known
Member
Messages
974
Reaction score
705
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Agreed. I got rid of it in one tank by adding water lettuce (was covered) and a powerhead. Tried different things, but that seemed to take it away completely. Then it started in the other tank! Didn't know about the light intensity thing tho, the cyano always appears where light is strongest. Or maybe it moves to where it gets the most light....
Makes sense to provide enough light to all the plants to outcompete for nutrients.
Many cyano species have photo inhibition. They like short periods of intense light and can be heterotrophic in low light but are sensitive to long periods of high light. Actually kills them . Opposite of what most people do. Here is a reference
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,983
Reaction score
4,271
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh oops, I saw that link and missed that info. Interesting. I do have fluctuating light in some of my tanks. A split photoperiod. Guess I won't be doing one to get rid of cyano.
 

Tpane27

Active Member
Member
Messages
187
Reaction score
29
Experience
3 years
Does anyone have any info on getting rid of small amounts of red algae? The tank runs a fluval c3 five stage filter for up to 50 gallon tank. The tank is 20 gallons tall. The apI master kit has 0 ammonia, 5 nitrates and 0 nitrites. Its gone down a little but still pops up here and there. Any thoughts?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
73
Guests online
2,208
Total visitors
2,281

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom