What type of algae/moss is this?

jpaquatics

I had this strange moss or algae pop up about a year ago. I believe it originally came from a petco plant. I always throw away whatever I see but it’ll still pop up in small patches every few months, usually in the same few spots. It doesn’t spread like algae and it’s growth patterns remind me of Java moss. It’s very thin though. It likes to attach itself to gravel. And it doesn’t spread very quickly. Anyone know an ID for this, and how to get rid of it besides just manual removal?

5741FA70-BE0C-44D3-B53A-ACF6A05DE8EC.jpeg
BBEF6B7D-6082-46BC-979C-A46D10ACD211.jpeg

YellowGuppy

I've heard it referred to by several names, but "filamentous algae" and "branching algae" are the common. Either way, it's a pain!

Spot treating with hydrogen peroxide works over time, but it's an annoying process. I'll usually pull out any substrate that's impacted and boil or bleach it once I've collected enough to make it worthwhile, but use the H2O2 on hardscape and plants.

Upvote 0

jpaquatics

I've heard it referred to by several names, but "filamentous algae" and "branching algae." Either way, it's a pain!

Spot treating with hydrogen peroxide works over time, but it's an annoying process. I'll usually pull out any substrate that's impacted and boil or bleach it once I've collected enough to make it worthwhile, but use the H2O2 on hardscape and plants.
Thank you! I’ll just keep removing it as it pops up then.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • sleinadessej
  • Algae
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views
Spudsssy
  • Question