What type of algae is this?

LouPey
I thought it looked like black beard algae but when I remove it from the water it is a beautiful blue green colour. So I wonder if it is blue green cyano bacteria.

What do you think? I want to figure what it is so I can solve the problem that is causing it as it os starting to kill of my beautiful crinun (plant).
20210401_143848.jpg

20210401_143854.jpg

20210401_143850.jpg

And here is it without the black background, it
20210401_150235.jpg
looks a lot more blue green from this angle.

AggressiveAquatics
Looks like staghorn algae

Fishfriendof315
AggressiveAquatics said:
Looks like staghorn algae
Sure is all the way. Looks like its dying off

FishDin
It's not BGA.

LouPey
I just googled staghorn algae and it does very much look like that. Thanks AggressiveAquatics and Fishfriendof315 !

I guess I need to work on my CO2... which is fluctuating as it's a DIY set that is nearing the end
And adding more nitrate (although I do already add NPK nutrients).

SotaAquatics
Staghorn can be really hard to get rid of, only way I have been able to is with hydrogen peroxide treatment. I find that I also have to dose Excel daily or it comes back in the tank it infested after a week or two, even with consistent CO2.

LouPey
SotaAquatics said:
Staghorn can be really hard to get rid of, only way I have been able to is with hydrogen peroxide treatment. I find that I also have to dose Excel daily or it comes back in the tank it infested after a week or two, even with consistent CO2.
Oh dear! I don't want to put hydrogen peroxide in my tank :/ I've got liquid carbon that I've started using and I can see it going red.
Today during my water change I will cut back the infected cranium as well and keep my fingers crossed.
But thank you for that as I will now no longer show it any mercy as I have been doing as I didn't realise it is actually a pain on the butt! When I first saw it I thought it would just be good food for my goby so I mostly let it be but now I'm regretting it haha.
Thanks

DerekO24
Try finding an adult Siamese Algae eater. I say adult cuz I have a smaller one right now and he’s not nearly as effective as a full grown

MacZ
It's best to treat such algae occurences at the root. Algae are great as indicators for imbalances in nutrients and lights.

What's the maintenance schedule?
What's the light schedule on the tank?
Are fertilisers in use? If so, which ones?
What's the stocking and feeding schedule?
What about CO2?

With tweaking these factors algae can be reduced to almost zero without spending a cent and often even with less work.

LouPey
MacZ said:
It's best to treat such algae occurences at the root. Algae are great as indicators for imbalances in nutrients and lights.

What's the maintenance schedule?
What's the light schedule on the tank?
Are fertilisers in use? If so, which ones?
What's the stocking and feeding schedule?
What about CO2?

With tweaking these factors algae can be reduced to almost zero without spending a cent and often even with less work.
For me I suspect it is my lighting as I do like to leave them on all day so I can watch tha tank when I want easier. Plus I have 2 lights over that tank. I really weak/poor light and a two wavelength plant light. I have just bought a new light though with a timer so I'm hoping thatll do the trick.

I think everything else should be alright but I will play around with them if timed lighting doesn't help. I change 50% water once a week, feed twice a day (frozen in morning and hikari mico pellets in eve), MPK macro ferts separately and fluval gro+ micros all once a week after water change.
CO2, I have a DIY kit with sugar/yeast/water solution. And lightly stocked.

Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom