What type of algae is this?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brown hair algae.

Feed less, reduce stocking density and/or reduce the lighting time and/or fertilizers.

Can you give us:
The water parameters? Especially Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
The cleaning/waterchange schedule?
The light schedule?
The stocking?
Do you use fertilizers?

OP
Aquashrimp42

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is 35ppm. PH of 8.3. I typically just top off but I will use a turkey baster to suck up some of the loose stuff over the eco complete substrate. Lights are on at 8 and off at 6. I have an aqueon optibright and current satellite plus pro lights on it. The current light has the rgb lights off and the white lights at 50 out of 100(the adapter heats up when it has a higher intensity). 26 gallon bow from tank stocked with 30ish guppies that are half an inch in size. Two bristlenose plecos and a nerite snail. I use flourish advance daily, flourish micro nutrients and some macro nutrients 2.5ml each biweekly. I run an aqua clear 50 on it. I have an inverted bottle that I bubble co2 into via a baking soda and vinegar reaction.
image.jpg

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a lot of nutrients in such a small tank. The bristlenose plecos have quite some bioload, then the CO2 and the fertilizers. And you have relatively few plants, that will likely not use up all the nutrients you put in. It would be more than enough only to use the CO2 and even that is too much in my opinion. And no waterchanges.

Try one of these:
- 50% waterchanges each week, whatever you do.
a. Leave out the fertilizers, use less CO2, feed less and set the lights higher.
b. Double the amount of plants, half the fertilizers, half the CO2 and 2-3 more hours of light each day.

There's no guarantee that this works, but in general algae come from too many nutrients or too much lights. While you have a load of nutrients in your tank, I suspect the light and the amount of plants are not suffcient to use them up.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To make sure more plants clear the problem take fast growing ones.

New Threads