What type of African cichlid is this?

1. Reece50 Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Also is it normal for this guy to constantly hide. He has dig under all the Rock and made a pit that he very rarely leaves? Like this \/

[​IMG]

2. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Looks like it could be a frontosa, hard to tell because hes facing away. African cichlids do like to dig out caves and are very territorial, that may be why hes staying in the cave, or if hes being bullied he may be trying to hide.

3. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It's a Cyphotilapia frontosa. They live in groups, so it is probably hiding because it is stressed on its own. What are the other cichlids in with it?

4. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed frontosa should really be kept in species only tank of at least 210g in large breeding group.

5. Reece50 Initiate Member

He's in there with some yellow labs, dogtooth and Dolphins. When I got the tank they were with it. Eventually going to re home them and switch back to saltwater. There is plenty of hiding places and it's a 450litre tank so plenty of room for just the 9 of them. I have kept cichlids loads but like you said I have always kept with just a species tank and American not African. I have a Qt tank constantly on the go for my other tanks so can always segregate him until he is re-homed. Many thanks guys!