What type is wood is this?

Cody

Picked up this At a LFS this evening and it wasn’t labeled and I didn’t ask questions as j was excited to find this size piece for the price. Its 28in tall and around 2ft wide at its widest point. It was $30 which was. Pretty good price to find locally.

I’m thinking it’s spider wood. I’m mainly trying to understand how much it will leach tannins. Just trying to decide the effort I want to put into soaking some thing this large

Attachments

• 00ED212B-00B5-4339-BCE2-B0EF57B53E48.jpeg
    00ED212B-00B5-4339-BCE2-B0EF57B53E48.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 15

carsonsgjs

Yep, spiderwood - usually azalea root. Needs soaking to make it sink more than removing tannins, although it will leach a small amount.

Cody

Yup, definitely the right call. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to sink. I’ve had much smaller pieces in the past that were fine after a few days but is suspect this will take some time.

Love the pieces though! I have a tall tank (24”) and I have wanted something for a while to fill some vertical space and this will do the trick!

BigManAquatics

I haven't had a lot of experience with spiderwood, but definitely a lot less tannins than my usual mooani or malaysian driftwood!! Seems to sink a little quicker, but definitely feels less dense to me as well...almost like a balsa wood.

Cody

I haven't had a lot of experience with spiderwood, but definitely a lot less tannins than my usual mooani or malaysian driftwood!! Seems to sink a little quicker, but definitely feels less dense to me as well...almost like a balsa wood.
I guess with it being less dense, it theoretically should absorb water faster well.

I Love Mopani, I have some nice pieces years ago when I first started fish keeping. But man is it tough getting the tannins out. Even after some long boils it seems to never let go. But it’s nice how it sinks like a bag of bricks. I always loved the coloration too. A very, pretty wood.

BigManAquatics

I guess with it being less dense, it theoretically should absorb water faster well.

I Love Mopani, I have some nice pieces years ago when I first started fish keeping. But man is it tough getting the tannins out. Even after some long boils it seems to never let go. But it’s nice how it sinks like a bag of bricks. I always loved the coloration too. A very, pretty wood.
After several months in my 45, i STILL get some tannins from my mopani and malaysian pieces in there....and they soaked from thanksgiving til easter in a bucket!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VibrantOrange
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Kate1018
Replies
Views