What Type Is This Beta

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Mollyfish, May 16, 2018.

1. Mollyfish

MollyfishNew MemberMember

Got given as present last week by daughter was told it was male siamese fighter is this right.
    Thank You in advance

Attached Files:

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

That betta isn't really specific to one morph, it's more of a mut. It's almost a plakat, but the fins are a bit too long. I guess you could call it a delta. It also appears to have a bit of rose in him. I can't really see well in the pictures, so that's my best guess.

3. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Hi may be got better pics also looks like it has spots from mouth upwards

Attached Files:

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

okay, those pictures are much better and i can tell you have a delta with a bit of dragonscale.

5. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Thank you is it the same care as a beta? As can’t find much info thank you so much

6. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

All "siamese fighting fish" are betta splendens. I personally dislike how bettas are refered to as "fighters" but I suppose it makes sense as in their home land they are used for fighting, much like dog or rooster fighting.

Same general care, 78-80F is best. Low filter flow and at least a 5gal is perfect. Very few fish can live peacefully with bettas, most being bottom feeders like bristle nose pleco, loaches, otos, and corydoras but only in tanks larger than 20gals.

As for his fin type, he looks to be either a detla, halfmoon or rose tail. They are pretty much all the same, but their tail spread when flaring varies depending on type. Rose tails are defined by having more ray branching than the usual halfmoon.

For his color form, he looks like an imperfect "butterfly" pattern. Perhaps he's got some marbling gene in which case his colors may change. As for dragon scaling, he certainly may have a bit going on. Pretty fish either way.

7. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't say it's a halfmoon since the fins are less than 180 degrees. However, like the post says above, their might be a bit of rose, but he doesn't have it enough to call him a rose. As for betta types, betta splendens is the species of domestic betta you are talking about. They all are the same species, but there are many morphs, kind of like breeds in dogs. Their are other species of betta out their, but you don't find them as readily and aren't as colorful as the domestic fighters.

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

According to one of my friends, blue bettas arent part of the dragonscale group, rather they are considered to be a metallic.

9. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

metallic refers to the iridescents. The dragon scale refers to the patches of scales on the fish that are shiny. Normally you can see each scale in a dragon.

10. aussieJJDude

Not really. A true dragon scale will have those patches of scales like you said, but it also will have a white or silver look to it and not be the same colour as the finnage. Basically, a (good) dragon scale will have fins one colour and the body will be white/silver, similar to this:
    eb5bcf6ae0823212030a902987da0043.jpg

The pic above was taken from here:  

11. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Thank you all just curiosity as did not want to not look after properly.
    But do love it hope settles in soon as only got 5 days ago but swimming around quite a bit and has eaten a little but do have a bully of a black neon so hope he stands up to him soon LOL. At the moment he runs and hides lol

12. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I glad you brought up differnt fin color, i knew i was missing something. It's one of those things that you don't think about explaining, your eyes just go thats metallic and thats a dragon. Just want to point out one tiny thing though, the bodies can range much more than just the two colors. I see a lot of coppers where i'm from, but their are others.

13. Georgie Girl

Georgie GirlValued MemberMember

You've taken some excellent pictures of this fish. What are your rates?

14. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Some bettas cannot handle being with other fish, if the black neon pushes too hard it may get killed for pestering him.

15. aussieJJDude

Thats fine. Ive done the same thing in the past! ;) I tend to view a solid coloured fish as metallic, which most dragonscales are - they are a subset of metallics after all...

Coppers usually have either a red/yellow/orange base, otherwise I would personally categorise coppers as metallics... That 'dual' tone (even though, its sometimes a lot more!) look is basically what dragons are all about IMO.

16. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Thank you that was about third attempt as he kept moving lol but he is beautiful. Just hope he don’t get to upset while get another tank ready for him or the black neons can’t decide which at moment lol

17. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

He
    seems to run and hide at the moment but getting another tank ready the weekend then let it cycle.only can’t decide between putting him in there or black neons lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice