What type is my Betta?

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is our beauty, Finneas. We got him from a local fish store that actually didn't use death cups. We were just driving around one day checking out other places besides the big stores. I saw this guy and fell in love. The type was listed on the front of his cube he was in, but he came home in a bag so I don't have anything to reference. I looked at a bunch of Bettas and was so excited when I actually got him, that I don't remember what kind he was.
a813d2a52cc37496d6b36230db48fe5e.jpg
4d024ec83e36ef406a6fd4a09f4595f7.jpg
d803d317f5039101023b8ecddd23fb73.jpg
8c07f6e8739223909ab88a5aa20a036d.jpg
022a77aaa61b98a3c9affeec88798be6.jpg

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you mean what species of betta or what color/tail type he is?
he looks amazing!

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So he is a Betta splendens. The name you purchased him under would have been a “rose tail” betta

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, yes I knew he was a Splendens. I was looking for the color/tail type.

Thank you!!

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I disagree, a rosetail is supposed to have “petals” - hence the name, like this (I drew this quickly and on my phone, don’t judge lol)
42F31595-B7AD-47C8-8FD2-01A5BED314B9.jpeg

He does flare to 180 though, it looks like, So I’d say he’s a half moon. Looks like he has turquoise in his blue layer (It has kind of a green-ish sheen, right?) And he had reduced red in his red layer. Looks like he has a tiny bit of variegation on his tail too (called “butterfly” in the industry :yuck: Terrible term). Though because it’s just on his tail, it may actually just be the cellophane layer poking through as new finnage is growing. Only time will tell the difference

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We were thinking we saw delta or super delta on his cube, but just couldn't be sure. Could he be a delta or super delta rosetail? Or is it just rosetail? We're still learning about all of this :)

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kcisco71 said:
We were thinking we saw delta or super delta on his cube, but just couldn't be sure. Could he be a delta or super delta rosetail? Or is it just rosetail? We're still learning about all of this :)
Deltas and super deltas don’t reach 180 when flaring, yours does, I’d say Halfmoon. And rosetails have “petals” - yours doesn’t. See my above post for a picture

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
Looks like he has turquoise in his blue layer (It has kind of a green-ish sheen, right?)
I think that just must be in the light quality of pictures. I don't see any turquoise at all - just the blue and red with the white at the end of the caudal fin.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kcisco71 said:
I think that just must be in the light quality of pictures. I don't see any turquoise at all - just the blue and red with the white at the end of the caudal fin.
Turqouise is referring to the genetics - it is not a steel blue, and because of how light it is, I’m guessing it is not a royal blue, that leaves turquoise - those are the three options.

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
Deltas and super deltas don’t reach 180 when flaring, yours does, I’d say Halfmoon. And rosetails have “petals” - yours doesn’t. See my above post for a picture
Got it! Thank you!

Dewclaw83 said:
Turqouise is referring to the genetics - it is not a steel blue, and because of how light it is, I’m guessing it is not a royal blue, that leaves turquoise - those are the three options.
So much to learn. Thank you again!

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kcisco71 said:
So much to learn. Thank you again!
Yup - here’s a link if you’d like to read more about colors:
Color Genetics

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sidenote: I cannot see the attached pictures in anyone's posts on my Android mobile. I've attached a screen shot of what I see. My settings are set to show picture preview, etc. I can see my own pictures in my own post when I first post, but when I go back, they'll look like the screen shot as well. Is there some way to fix this?
e98167784ffe0407dde6aa46cb3ba184.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kcisco71 said:
Sidenote: I cannot see the attached pictures in anyone's posts on my Android mobile. I've attached a screen shot of what I see. My settings are set to show picture preview, etc. I can see my own pictures in my own post when I first post, but when I go back, they'll look like the screen shot as well. Is there some way to fix this?
Hi, you’re not alone having this problem, Mike (the owner) is aware of this issue & is trying to find a way to solve it :)

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kcisco71 said:
e98167784ffe0407dde6aa46cb3ba184.jpg
The issue is the app. If you use the mobile website on your device, you'll see photos just fine.

New Threads