What traits do I look for in fry?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Taritus, Aug 14, 2015.

1. TaritusValued MemberMember

So got my first batch of fry ever and I've decided to raise them keep a few and give the rest to friends since they are interested but I wanna keep the best ones
    What do i look for to determine this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmccWell Known MemberMember

It does depend on species to a degree, but with almost all fry the only things that you can look for at this stage is feeding habits, including how they compete for food, and their activity level, all of which can be indicators of general health. Later, you can watch for growth rate, while still keeping an eye out for the ones that seem to dominate in competition for food.
    Good luck in keeping track of them at the fry stage, however. Best to you, rick

3. TaritusValued MemberMember

At this stage I can only recognize one because of his color all the others are yellow or cream with clear body but he has yellow or cream head with back body and dark strip in middle
    Their Molly's

4. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Fry tend to work out the unhealthy ones on their own, as they can't compete for food. As they grow, look for deformities among the runts and euthanize them. Curved spines, balloon bellies, and belly sliders are the biggest issues.

5. TaritusValued MemberMember

My only problem is I don't know if they are from my milky or my balloon Molly

6. TaritusValued MemberMember

Meant Molly not milky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice