what to use for trimming and placing plants

1. hgrad98 Member Member

What is the best thing to do? Get plant tongs and plants scissors separate? Or get one of those multi-tool things with both addons? Suggestions please, along with where you get the item.

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

You can find some pretty nice deals on Amazon. I found a combo package of aquascaping scissors and planting tongs for a decent price. Before this, though, I went to a petstore and bought a long pair of "feeding tongs" that are used for feeding reptiles that may bite your hand. They were a little bulky but they worked well enough when I was planting dwarf hairgrass.

3. hgrad98 Member Member

Thanks. Do you remember what you typed in the search bar on amazon to get that?

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

It is my opinion that the tools that have plastic tips are totally useless, at least comparison with the stainless steel version. The tool like that I bought, I only use it for picking up things dropped in the tank now. Particularly with the tweezers which you want the very narrow ends that the plastic ones don't provide. Otherwise they create too big of a hole when you try to place stems into the gravel. For scissors, any long handled stainless steel scissors work, you want them to be pointy to get into places, but I've made do with regular paper scissors in the past without difficulty.

5. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

I've bought a 3-piece kit of stainless steel scissors, curved and straight tweezers from ebay for under $10 shipped. They work great for planting anything but very small plants like baby tears. I ended up getting separate tools for those. Were I to do it over again, I would just pay a little more and get the finer-tipped tools from the outset. These really work very well.

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Probably something like "aquascaping tools".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. hgrad98 Member Member

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I've found some nice cheap stainless steel 28cm curved tongs/tweezers thing, and 10" curved stainless steel scissors. (Both have very fine point tips and both are skinny/thin)

The total is just under $10 for both together + free shipping :D

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

9. hgrad98 Member Member

thanks ken, but they don't ship to Canada :(

10. celizabethh3 Member Member

eBay! I literally just saw some when I was looking (on the American site but they ship to Canada) to buy some suction cups. I have no experience with live plants so I'm not sure on the tools but definitely give eBay a look if you haven't already. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. hgrad98 Member Member

thanks. I haven't actually looked on ebay yet. lol.