What to stock my tank with!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Madzy123412, Aug 6, 2015.

1. M

Madzy123412 New Member Member

I just bought a 60 litre tank (I think that equates to 15 gallons) with a filter, heater etc. I was wondering what would be a good group of freshwater fish to put in together & how many! Also what plants would be recommended?
    Thanks in advanced :)
    Maddy

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Pleasure to meet you! :D
    What are the dimensions?

3. OP
    OP
    M

Just checked (I've ordered it online)- it's actually 54 litres! The dimensions are 60 x 30 x 30cm

4. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Remember to cycle your tank! This takes 4-8 weeks, and it is a time period in which you should definitely not add fish. Look up online "fish tank cycle" and it'll give you clear instructions on how to cycle your tank. You also need a test kit, the one usually recommended is called "API Freshwater Master Test Kit". It is cheap, and is pretty much essential for your aquarium.

I'm also a fish newbie, and as far as newbie plants go I currently have water wisteria and amazon sword in my tank. I'm soon going to purchase some anubias as well(it's supposed to be one of THE easiest plants to grow).

For fish, why don't you look up some fish that fit in 15 gallon tanks(the 1 in of fish per gallon is a bad way to decide), and ask on here if those fish would work. Guppies, platys, tetras are all a kind of fish you could have(though not all kinds of tetra would work), and you should definitely look into those.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks for the reply :)
    Yes I read about cycling it and will do that for a month before adding any fish!
    I was thinking of 4 guppies and a pair of dwarf gouramis. What do you think of that?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Here's another link to cycling - nitrogen cycle. You can do a fish-in or fishless cycle - either would work, though with a fishless cycle, you definitely won't lose any fish :) Buy a bottle of Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability to jumpstart the cycle! Follow the directions on the back of the bottles.

Java fern, java moss, anubias, and Amazon sword. are all very easy to grow.

What kind of fish are you looking for? Schooling, centerpiece? You could get a few honey gouramis, platies, guppies, tetras, cories, shrimp, snails. Many options!

EDIT: Just saw your reply:
    A dwarf gourami and a few guppies would work, though a pair of dwarf gouramis wouldn't. Most DG sold in stores are males, and males will fight if kept together in a small tank.

Also, you may want to get a single sex of guppies so you're not overrun with fry!

7. OP
    OP
    M

Yep I don't plan on breeding any of them! Ok so 4 guppies and a single dwarf gourami? Is there anything else I could put in the tank with them? Thanks :)

8. happygolucky

One dwarf gourami(as females are not usually sold, and males will fight each other), and 4, maybe even 5 male guppies would do. As for cycling, time is not the issue, it's that your ammonia should be at 0, your nitrite at 0, and your nitrates between 10-30, more or less depending on your fish. I still strongly recommend a test kit! Cycling it for a month without fish may not have any effect, this is because you have no ammonia source. You should buy a pure ammonia, and use that to get your cycle started. However, using ammonia/knowing when your cycle is done is impossible without that test kit.

if you want more fish, keep the guppies at 3-4, and maybe add a platy or two

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Snails or shrimp would look nice!

Nitrates should be above zero in a cycled tank :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  10. happygolucky

Fixed, thanks

11. OP
    OP
    M

Great thanks :) will buy the test kit and make sure the levels are right before adding them :)

12. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I definitely do not have a green thumb on land, but so far I've only had one aquatic plant die on me months ago...

Still I have not attempted anything really hard. Currently I have a pair of 5 gallon tanks, each with a betta in it. One tank has anacharis, water wisteria, and a java fern, and the other has a java fern, more anacharis, and anubias.

Anacharis, in my experience, is the easiest plant. Lots of people say it does well in cooler temps but mine is thriving at 80 degrees. I've had it for six weeks and it has sprouted new little stems already.

Besides these plants I recommend Marimo moss balls and java moss. Amazon sword is known to take over some tanks, but it's a nice plant :)

As for stocking, I personally really like guppies and platys

13. fishguy122

fishguy122 Well Known Member Member

Freshwater gobies=awesome. You could consider doing a biotope, they're really fun to make and watch (when the fish are in there of course!). If you're interested in biotopes Google hillstream biotope, my personal favourite to do. :)

14. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

If you do want female gourami, ive had no prob gettingthem when i specifically ask a lfs guy to get some.

15. OP
    OP
    M

Great thanks :)
    So a female dwarf gourami, a few male guppies and red cherry shrimps. Could I fit any others in or would that be over stocking it?

How long should I cycle the tank for if I am adding seachem stability?

Thanks again!

16. happygolucky

Instead of guppies, you could do a small school of tetras. Like Ember tetras would be good for a 15 gallon, and you could have 6-7 of them, the dwarf gourami, and your RCS. Also, why female? Males are usually brighter and more colorful, and they are obviously easier to buy.

17. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Im thinking gourami with cherryshrimp maybe a plan for disaster...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice