What to stock in my natural pond

Anthonyg

Hi I am setting up a new large pond in my backyard in Maryland. I am looking to stock the pond with all natural fish such as bass and catfish. I will also have animals like turtles. Any suggestions for any animals I could put in there? They’d have to be able to last through winter.

MikeRad89

The pond would have to be 4 feet deep (at the very least) to be able to overwinter.

Anthonyg

The pond would have to be 4 feet deep (at the very least) to be able to overwinter.
The pond is 4 feet deep with some areas 5-6 feet.

saltwater60

What do you want? Any natural fish will do. If you do predatory fish like cats and bass you’ll constantly need to replenish food supply. Minnows, crayfish stuff like that. How big of a pond is it. We establish the depth but just how large.
frogs and red eft beets are good options. A lot will naturally come.

Anthonyg

What do you want? Any natural fish will do. If you do predatory fish like cats and bass you’ll constantly need to replenish food supply. Minnows, crayfish stuff like that. How big of a pond is it. We establish the depth but just how large.
frogs and red eft beets are good options. A lot will naturally come.
Red efts a cool thing I didn’t think of. Off the top of my head the pond is probably 35 yards long and 15 yards wide.

saltwater60

If you want larger fish like bass and stuff you’ll likely need to go deeper like 6-8’ deep. Sunfish are cool and eat a lot of bugs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheGeeko
Replies
Views
fudge
  • AngelTheGypsy
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Fishpuns