What To Stock 29 Gal With?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by lmau25, Apr 17, 2017.

1. lmau25

lmau25 Valued Member Member

I have 3 ten gallon tanks planted and stocked with male Betta fish, and a separate 10 gallon with 3 dwarf gourami (I'm switching them to the 29).

My question is, what should I stock my 29 with? I will have an abundance of plants as well.

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

Do you have ideas of what you like and dont like as far as livebearers or non.
    Or what colors you like?
    :)

3. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

There are so many options. Do you like corys, tetras, rasboras, barbs, kuhli loaches, or anything along those lines?

If you have enough plants, you could break the line of sight along the gouramis. I would think if they are all male (which they probably are because females are hard to find) that 2 would pair up against 1.

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

You could probably do 1 or 2 top/mid dwelling schools/schoals and a bottom dwelling school like cory or kuhlis.
    Do you like shrimp or snails?

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome two of the gouramis. Male dwarf gouramis will kill each other, and your tank isn't big enough for more than one.

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Once the gourami situation is figured out, I'd vote for a southeast Asian tank: the gourami(s), a decent school of cherry barbs or harlequin rasboras, a group of kuhli loaches, and some amano shrimp, planted with crypts :)

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do this:
    1 dwarf gourami
    8 neon tetras
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 panda cories
    1 bolivian ram

8. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

I have a 29 and here's my plan (stockingly very slowly, and I still have 12 more fish to add, there's only 7 fish total in right now):

8 Diamond Tetra
    8 Kuhli Loaches
    1 Dwarf Gourami (m)
    1 Creamsicle Molly (f)
    1 ABNP
    (And I'm considering trying one or two ghost shrimp, at the very end)

This, plus the suggestions of other, might help you build your own

9. OP
    OP
    lmau25

The only fish I wouldn't want to have is guppies. I've had too many friends of mine tell me horror stories about them, lol

I definitely like loaches a lot! I honestly like all fish, aside from guppies (I like their appearance but would never own them). I've been keeping a close eye on my gourami tank, and so far everything looks okay! *crosses fingers*

I am worried about them as well, but I have a ton of plants that they hide in and that seems to be helping.

That's my problem! I like all fish, lol. I think I am leaning towards a couple different types of tetras and some loaches currently.

I love ghost shrimp! They are surprisingly adorable and funny. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    lmau25

I like your suggestion! Thanks ;)

11. OP
    OP
    lmau25

Very nice! Thank you :)

12. TexasDomer

If you like loaches, what about something like this?

12x Emerald dwarf rasbora
    8x Harlequin rasbora
    10-12x Kuhli loaches
    2-3x Honey gourami

13. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

There's room for 2-3 honey gouramis? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just didn't know that.

14. TexasDomer

I think so! They're small and peaceful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice