What to put into a 3 gal tank??? Help

1. belleekgirl Member Member

I am looking for ideas on what I can put into a 3 gallon tank... It is a bio-wheel/heated tank that we had our betta in. He died last week and now we want to put something new in the tank. My boys want a crab, but I am not sure how to take care of one or if it would be happy in there. I was told at the LFS that a glowfish would be happy, but am not sure about those.

Any ideas? I am not ready for another betta- it was too hard to loose the last one.

Oh- we are moving soon, so the tank is currently empty and won't be ready to cycle until we move, then we will cycle it and add a fish or something then.

:;snow

2. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i'm sorry for your loss... glowfish are active SCHOOLING fish that should be in groups of 5 or more. also because they are active, they need a tank larger than 3 gallons. bettas are perfect, but since you don't want another (but in case you were interested Martinismommy has beautiful baby bettas for sale...or you could rescue a cup baby) you could maybe get an apple snail. it might be fun to raise a pretty little snail, or bring home some live plants and see what you get on them! i had a big sac of jelly eggs that came on some of mine (i disposed of them, though, for fear of 200 baby snails...) shrimp are fun too!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Not much can go into a 3g.
    How about a colony of shrimp and some java moss?
    That would be cool. :)
    or
    Depending on the shape, maybe 1 African Dwarf Frog.

4. belleekgirl Member Member

OH.... Didn't think of shrimp :). How many would be a good number? I will do more research on them, but always good to get info from you guys. Where is a good place to buy Java Moss? Online or the LFS? Our tank is a Marineland Eclipse tank. It is flat on the back and curves at the front. I am liking the shrimp idea as it is a compromise to the crab idea the boys had. Could we put a small fish in there as well? I have a tetra tank that only has one poor neon left in it, was thinking of moving him into this tank and doing something new with the other..... Hm.... So many things to think about. I am hopeful the new area we are moving to has a good fish store for us to visit :). Thanks

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the only fish i know of that will be okay for that size tank is a betta, but you don't want another. you could do a betta with a few cherry red shrimp, but the betta will eat the little guys,

i know the shrimp have very little bioload, so you can have a bunch in there... maybe 6? that's just a guess - someone else will have to give yo a real answer :;sh

6. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Tetras are schooling fish too. That wouldn't work.
    I'd stick with the shrimp. That sounds cool.

7. Crimsonbull57 Member Member

You could have a dwarf puffers, i have one in a heavily planted 2.5, they are awesome! (check out dwarfpuffers.com)
    You could also get some cherry shrimp. I would start off with 10, but they will breed so you can sell them if you get too many. (Ghost shrimp are more aggressive so I would only keep 4 with a lot of rockwork or hiding places.)
    Scarlet Badis are another option.

Just make sure you keep up on water changes.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would stick to shrimp, I have red cherry shrimp in an 8G and I was recommended to have up to 50 in there, so you could probably have 25 in there :)

You could also have it heavily planted and have 1 sparkling gourami :)

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

you could go with red cherry shrimp and a sparkling gourami, or you could go with a 3 male endlers

11. belleekgirl Member Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am excited to get this tank set up again. I just have to wait until after we get moved so I can. Hopefully I can find a good LFS to get things at. Is ordering fish from the internet a good idea or not?
    I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good type or brand of the substrate for the plants that the fish will like as well?
    Thanks again
    :;rfro

12. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

If you're wanting color but you don't want it to fade, Petco brand substrate is wonderful. We've used their black, red, blue, green and have had no fading or "bleeding" into the water.

I hope that helps!

13. Beeker Well Known Member Member

For healthy live plants, I used Florite. I heard Eco Complete is also good.

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

15. belleekgirl Member Member

Thanks again everyone! :) I am getting a "shopping list" ready. Now I just need to wait a couple of weeks to be able to get started! I hope I am able to find the fish locally, if not- is there a web page you have bought from that you like?

16. Crimsonbull57 Member Member

I would use Eco complete or sand as a substrate.
    I've never ordered fish online but I have ordered shrimp.
    I would get your fish from somewhere like http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm (shrimp, gouramis, badis) or from liveaquaria.com
    If you are going to get cherry shrimp, I would highly suggest getting them from a member off a forum. A lot of people sell them for 20 shrimp for $20 shipped.

17. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i have heard wonderful things about liveaquaria.com. also, sparkling gouramis are a great idea. they are a lot like bettas but different still. dwarf puffers are wonderful, i hear, and have so much personality! they are also about the cutest little guys ever.

also, as a substrate, id go with sand. it is easy to clean, looks great, and plants like it (be sure to add fertilizers in another form though) pool filter sand is wonderful stuff, and 10 dollars will buy you a 50 lb bag.