What To Put In A 55 Gallon Tank.

BewareThePleco

Reaction score
I just got my 55 gallon today and I'm super excited to get it cleaned and cycled. I keep changing my mind on what I want to move into it, if I want just one kind of a larger type of fish or a community. I am trying to go with something relatively easy but will be very rewarding.

Bottom dwellers that I would really like (Not nessisarily all at once or in the same tank, just ones I've either seen, have, or did a little research on.)

-Cory cats
-Loach
-Pleco (I have one and won't get another, he is definitely going into the 55. I was a big dummy when I got him because I was too excited for my first tank and didn't do my research on how big he was going to get, I just remembered my dad having one so.... Now I have him haha I do enjoy him very much)
-Algie eaters
-Shrimp
-Mystery snails

Schooling fish that I would get if the ''main" fish can get along with them.(Again not all just one type)

-Rasboras
-Rummy-nose Tetra
-Neon Tetra (Thinking of adding the small school to the 55 with the danios, I recently moved them for more room for the danios)
-Zebra Danios (I already have 5 and I think they would be a lot of fun to watch in a 55, I'm just not sure if they would be ok with the 'main' fish I'm thinking of)

Now for the main fish I have been looking at a little bit. I've been seeing some in huge tanks but they will have a large number of the fish as well. These are just ideas, so feel free to correct me if these fish should be in large numbers with a much bigger tank:

4 Angels (2 males 2 females, planning on getting them as babies that are about the size of a quarter right now. But now that I think of it if they are at the store that small with a ton of other baby angels they may be related, right?)

6 Dwarf Gouramis (two males and four females) I would like to put my danios in with these guys.

Dwarf African Cichlids (These guys will probably be by their self)

What do you guys have in your 55 gallons? What has worked best for you? Would some of the main fish be okay with each other?

Initiate

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there,

Just a few questions and stuff first

What do you mean by algae eaters?
What type of pleco do you have?
What type of loaches are you thinking of having?

Cory Cats would make a great addition. It depends what type you want I suggest you find what type you what so we can make sure they suit other fish.

Shrimp may be difficult to keep with angels and gourami, I would suggest having amano shrimp as they are larger

Mystery snails are sweet, they cant breed in fresh water.

Neon tetras and zebra danios do better in cooler water it would be best to leave them in your existing tank. To subsitute for the neons you could buy cardinal tetras, they are very similar but like warmer water and their red stripe runs the whole length of their body.

Dwarf gourami are usually not compatible and I would suggest getting the normal gourami which are, there are many different species which can be housed together. Find which ones your interested and tell me

Angels will do well, you will have to end up with a male and female pair as they grow because they can get very territorial

Dwarf chichlids such as the apistos would do well, again haha find the type you want and get back to me.

What filter are you running?

Have Fun!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 55g has two blue acaras, 5 bandit Cory, 17 lemon tetras and one Priscilla tetra (was suppose to be the 18th lemon). I did have a angel in there but the blue crew beat the living snot out of it and I could not save it.

My tank also has Amazonia substrate and soon ill be adding drift wood.

Based on my experience a 55g is basically a tank for community fish. So you can’t really have large Cichilds in there due to the lack of depth.

If you want angels you can’t really have Cory fish since they are not really temperature compatible.

African Cichilds would be nice in that tank but you need to make sure you have the high pH that is required plus good filtration.

Initiate

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fashooga said:
My 55g has two blue acaras, 5 bandit Cory, 17 lemon tetras and one Priscilla tetra (was suppose to be the 18th lemon). I did have a angel in there but the blue crew beat the living snot out of it and I could not save it.

My tank also has Amazonia substrate and soon ill be adding drift wood.

Based on my experience a 55g is basically a tank for community fish. So you can’t really have large Cichilds in there due to the lack of depth.

If you want angels you can’t really have Cory fish since they are not really temperature compatible.

African Cichilds would be nice in that tank but you need to make sure you have the high pH that is required plus good filtration.
Sterbai corys and some other species can do well with angel temperature

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom