What to put in a 5 gal Hex??

Amnagrla
I am getting a free 5 gallon Hex tank. I'm now going to put a betta in because of the added stress the Hex shape gives it.

Dave suggested maybe killifish...

Anyone have any other ideas for me?? prrreeeassseee???? (Roger Rabbit)

COBettaCouple
Do NOT put Roger Rabbit in that tank!

Wyoming_Bound
Some male guppies would look nice.

capekate
g'morning Amanda,
Nice catch on the freebie tank! Always a good thing. Do you have a QT already? I have the extra hex tank here that I keep as a QT for any sick fish.

But, I also think that guppies would be kinda fun for that tank! There are so many beautiful strains out there..
;D

Lucy
Wow free tank, that's how I got my 5 gallon hex, but the filter was broke.

How about a bunch of shrimp, like that freaky little one you posted for mackaimee?

Amnagrla
hahaha darn, I really wanted to put Roger in that tank!!

Truthfully, I wanted to stay away from livebearers... Life will find away... lol

lol the freaky shrimp hahaha

Allie
A betta wouldn't like a 5 gallon hex?

Angela_96
Lucas the betta is getting along fine in my hex.. I think its more how you set them up, hes got tall plants in his where he can lay on them at night so he don't have such a long way up for air at night. Hes happy and healthy in his.

Allie
Lucas the betta is getting along fine in my hex.. I think its more how you set them up, hes got tall plants in his where he can lay on them at night so he don't have such a long way up for air at night. Hes happy and healthy in his.
I see. I wanted to get one or two of them so that's good to know. They take up less space than a normal 5g...so anything for me to be able have more room for betta. drool

Angela_96
I see. I wanted to get one or two of them so that's good to know. They take up less space than a normal 5g...so anything for me to be able have more room for betta. drool

Oh he is def so happy in his tank, he is even making a bubble nest. Of coarse he has to get mad w/ the every so many day water changes when I mess his nest up.... that has to be a sign though of a happy betta (the bubble nesting?)

Lucy

My betta liked it, it was me that had the problem cleaning it. lol

Amnagrla
I heard that they get aggrivated more because they have less horizontal swimming space and more mirrored views of themselves so they flare more.

Lucy
There were a few people who had problems with their males flaring at their reflection.
It never bothered my female.

I moved her to a 10 gallon because of the swimming surface and my inability to clean it without her getting stressed

Angela_96
I must have mine set up w/ enough fake plants where he isn't seeing his reflection as much, he flares up some but not as often as when I first got him. Its more for show when I come up to the tank, like hes showing off for me. Yea I agree on the horizontal swimming space, and it being a cleaning nightmare, I used my extra long scrub brush on it yesterday, it worked out okay when I did my waterchange. If it wasn't for that it would have been a pain.

Martinismommy

Dunn seems to be enjoying his....

Amnagrla
Thanks everyone!! I really can't wait... 2 months! Man! That's so long from now!!

mrsmuffin
Billy Voltaire loves his 5 gal hex. The only time that I have seen him flare is when his light is on but the room lights are off. I have some tall plants in there too, though.

Allie
Oh he is def so happy in his tank, he is even making a bubble nest. Of coarse he has to get mad w/ the every so many day water changes when I mess his nest up.... that has to be a sign though of a happy betta (the bubble nesting?)
When a betta isn't happy you can tell. They do nothing at all.

Angela_96
that's def not lucas, hes a busy little guy.. always swiming around

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pagoda
  • Question
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views