What to put in a 5-8 gallon tank?

BoSox Fan7
What can I put in a 5-8 gallon tank?

I plan to get a 5-8 gallon tank to put on my desk. Please give me any suggestions on what I should put in the tank.

Allie
You could have a betta in a 5 gallon or 2 betta divided in an 8g tank.

BoSox Fan7
I know about bettas, but is there anything else I could put in it?

susitna-flower
What kind of fish catch your fancy? You have had several in the past.

My favorite tank right now has small fish, cherry shrimp and snails.

If you had an 8 gallon you could have 5 or 6 cardinal tetras, cherry shrimp and an apple snail, and it would be a total distraction! Just like with one betta! I guess THAT is the object of having one on your desk?

BoSox Fan7
I like the cardinal tetra idea with cherry shimp!

BoSox Fan7
I am basically looking for some colorful fish that would be fine in that tank.

BoSox Fan7
Also can you tell me more about cherry shrimp?

COBettaCouple
An apple snail would get awfully big for a small tank like that and put out too much waste.

Cherry shrimp are great little shrimp. They only get to about an inch and I love to watch their activity. They'll like a nice piece of decor to live in and spend a lot of their time in. Something like a pirate ship or really anything they can spend time inside and feel safe would work and if you're able to get better views of them, then that's a plus.

Endlers might be a fish to consider. They can be real colorful with their bright splashes of color and the males only get to about an inch or so. I don't think they'd bother the shrimp much, but I'm not 100% sure on that since we've not put any shrimp into our endlers tank. They're active little fish that like plants in the tank and they're shameless suckups, always happy to plead for more food.

sunda
Hi,

You can put some medium sized 2-3 Male colorful guppies in 8g tank.

They are Small, beautiful, peaceful, lively, curious and hardy, there are many colorful variations that can be collected and easily bred. The Guppy fish is one of the best choices for beginners and I love them playing.

BoSox Fan7
That sounds good too.

Drea
When I was working I had a betta in a 5 gal hex, and he was great. I like how he greeted me every morning. People who came to my office also enjoyed seeing him.

BoSox Fan7
These are the tanks I might get

Drea
I have this aquarium, not using it. If you're interested, I will sell it for 20, but the fluorescent bulb need replaced. It's a great tank, I had a bubble-eye goldfish in it for 5 years. It also has a 2 sided background that I put on it and gravel. It is very easy to maintain and get filters for.

BoSox Fan7
The 5 gallon or the 9 gallon.

sunda
When I was working I had a betta in a 5 gal hex, and he was great. I like how he greeted me every morning. People who came to my office also enjoyed seeing him.

It's very nice having a small Aquarium at your work place next to your laptop or your telephone. you can watch them playing which releives the tension and other stress occurring at workplace. Am also planning to have one at my desk.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FiscCyning
  • Question
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
Ed204
Top Bottom