What to put in a 3 gal. Tank?

1. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

My sister has a 3 gal. round tank. The betta she had in it died yesterday(we're not sure why) so we did a 100% water change. Currently, the tank is sitting on the kitchen counter(it's new location) and we're letting it run for a couple days. Her question is "What can I put in it?" It has a UG filter, a heater, and an airstone. She wants to get another betta, but can we put another fish in with it? Maybe a platy, or a cherry barb to help it cycle? If we could fit two fish in there, should we add the first one and then, maybe a week later, the betta? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for your help!

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww tell her we are sorry for her loss :(
    in a 3g tank, I wouldnt put anything but a betta, or a small shrimp colony :)its not big enough for anything to go with the betta...they are not community fish ... but the tank has to be either recycled or kept cycled (if it was to begin with ) also remember that ugf filters are a big pain as they just collect waste and are very hard to keep clean unless you take the entire tank apart ....goodluck!

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks Shawnie! So, would once a month be often enough to clean out the filter?

4. Shawnie

its hard to say with ugf's as there isnt much floss or materia for a proper cycle to establish...its like a catch 22....you need to clean it to keep the fish tank healthy, but cleaning too much can interupt a cycle...maybe she should get a much better filter first and then go for stocking it? they make some really good filters that arent expensive at all for those size tanks ...heres an example of one thats only $13 http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisper...n=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

5. emily8

emily8 Valued Member Member

6. Shawnie

wow those are cute!! never seen/heard of them ....but some info ive been finding says they require bigger tanks? not sure why tho ..but they are cute buggers!

7. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I htink one of those puffers would be ok :)
    Maybe a sparkling gourami?
    Or 2 african dwarf frogs?

8. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks for your suggestions! She'd really like a betta though. Could she put a black mystery snail in there? That might reduce the amount she'd have to clean it?? We could give it algae pellets if we needed to. . . .

9. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

I actually PM's PinkFloydPuffer about the puffers in 3 gals, and she said they should be fine (just fyi)

As for the snail, they produce WAY more waste than they take care of, and will not make maintenance any easier. BUT, he still would make a nice addition to the tank, as long as proper water changes and gravel vacs take place :)

10. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

11. OP
    OP
    C

Would the betta get along w/ shrimp though?

12. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Possibly... possibly not.

I was actually talking about keeping just a colony of shrimp without a betta. :)

13. OP
    OP
    C

Ohhh, ok