What to put in a 2.6 gallon??

1. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hello people, my friend has a 2.6 gallon aquarium that has been running for awhile and is cycled and stable. She had a stocking problem, just like we all did when we first started, she has 2 ghost shrimp and 2 giant danios left..... I knoww lol

If it were me I would tell her to go with some RCS and some snails but she really wants fish. She doesn't want a betta either. Do you guys have any suggestions for a small tank and a picky owner??? Lol I try to help her but im used to large tanks, not itty bitty ones

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I can't think of anything else what about and ADF instead

3. Watehobit Member Member

I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who was serious about keeping fish healthy and happy, but I think that 5-6 micro rasbora would do ok-ish in a tank that small. They would certainly prefer more room. But if your friend is set on keeping fish, but not a betta, that is the best suggestion I can make.

Oh, and there is no reason not to add RCS and snails to the tank.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No fish except a Betta, & imo even for a Betta that's small, can go in that tank even the smallest micro rasboras need space to swim.
    You'll have to try & persuade your friend to either get a bigger tank or find her a Betta she just can't resist.

5. Watehobit Member Member

Let's not act like putting a few micro rasbora in that tank would kill them. It seems pretty clear that the mod knows that a betta or shrimp are the only recommended stocking plans for the tank. But sometimes people can't be convinced to do the right thing, and we have to settle for helping them make a poor choice instead of a terrible choice.

6. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I'd put a pair of pygmy sunfish or pygmy killifish in a tank that size.

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea exactly.

Thanks for all the ideas!! I was thinking all of these things also I just wanted to make it clear that it would be ok.

She doesn't want a betta because you can just have the betta, and I can understand that. At least she knows that and isn't going to try something crazy.

She takes amazing care of her fish, even with her busy schedule. Every time I go over there and test her tank and look to see if everything is ok, I get blown away on how low the nitrates are and how happy her fish look.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

And yea I was going to give her some of my RCS when my colony gets bigger. She wants an algae eater to eat the algae off the glass and I told her snails would be the best idea, or one big snail.

Any snail suggestions that are kind of unique and won't over run her tank?

9. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

RCS and 1 or 2 bumblebee/horned nerites. Would be good. The small bumblebee/horned nerites look pretty cool with their tiny spiky horns and nerites are really good at cleaning algae, as well as the RCS too.

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ok thanks guys!! I will go over these options with her and see what she likes best. She likes the micro rasbora for the school part. I'll see if she likes horned nerites.