What to put in a 15 gallon

cherrybomb

hi um i’ve never used fish lore before ? but i have a 15 gallon tank, (fresh water) which, currently only contains one older male betta . i am making plans for... when it dies not that i want it to. the betta seems stressed and i’m not sure why? that’s another question in itself though. anyways what i really want to know is what i should put in the tank when it’s empty. i want lots of colour and movement. i was thinking of getting two schools of fish maybe guppies with barbs ? is that too many or how many should i put ? any ideas
cherry

Maryellen

Welcome to fishlore! There’s lots of cool fish you could put in a 15 gal! However I don’t think the barbs and guppies would be ideal. The barbs might nip at the guppies a bit, and the combination of the two might crowd the middle/top portion of the tank. Here’s a few suggestions off the top my head that might work a bit better someone pls correct me if I’m off with any of these !
a small school (like 3) honey gourami
A school of really any smaller tetra/Rasbora with a school of cory (panda/albino/Pygmy corys are all good options)
Peapuffer
Shrimp tank (possibly with some fish)
You could also do an only guppy or only barb tank! Lots of options.

Upvote 0

ElizabethC

What about guppies and corydoras? They swim at different levels and I was honestly skeptical about corys at first but they really have a lot of personality and have become my favorites! I have also wanted to keep barbs but did some research and heard they can be shy and hide often, especially around more active fish?

Upvote 0

cherrybomb

Welcome to fishlore! There’s lots of cool fish you could put in a 15 gal! However I don’t think the barbs and guppies would be ideal. The barbs might nip at the guppies a bit, and the combination of the two might crowd the middle/top portion of the tank. Here’s a few suggestions off the top my head that might work a bit better someone pls correct me if I’m off with any of these !
a small school (like 3) honey gourami
A school of really any smaller tetra/Rasbora with a school of cory (panda/albino/Pygmy corys are all good options)
Peapuffer
Shrimp tank (possibly with some fish)
You could also do an only guppy or only barb tank! Lots of options.
thanks so much! honey gouramis are so cute lol. never knew
great suggestion i was thinking about getting corydoras because they help to clean the tank lol

Upvote 0

MartinXIX

i was thinking about getting corydoras because they help to clean the tank lol

While those cute little buggers do like to pick up extra food just keep in mind that they aren't a true detritus cleaning fish. Still drop in a sinking pellet or wafer for them at feeding time and note that they might eat some forms of algae as supplements to diets they usually don't particularly clean it actively.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

If you really like the idea of mixing guppies and barbs, the golden dwarf barb might work, Pethia gelius. I've never kept them, but from what I've read, they are small and peaceful.

My 15 gallon dream tank would have honey gouramis, Trichogaster chuna; golden dwarf barbs, Pethia gelius; dwarf indian hatchet fish, Laubuca dadiburjori; and dwarf anchor catfish, Hara jerdoni.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies