Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 13 tanks and need help determining what to do with one of my 45s
I have:
Two 10 gallons - 1 one hospital and 1 temporary housing
20 g with 8 neon tetras and 6 otos
20 g with 6 rasboras, 5 ember tetras and 3 cories (2 pepper and one panda, the panda is the lone survivor of a group of 6 from another tank)
15 g with 14 gold tetras
15 g with 3 bleeding heart tetras and 2 albino cories that will eventually go in a 45 g
15 g with 12 forktail rainbow fish (I think they need a bigger tank even though the filter keeps the ammonia and nitrites at zero)
45 g with 3 female diamond tetras and 2 albino cories. I will add another female diamond tetra, the other 2 albino cories and bleeding hearts)
Three 5 g betta tanks

Image1524620798.853135.jpg

I’m not sure what to do with my newly cycled 45 g with 4 green cories. I was thinking of having smaller fish in this tank such as the forktail rainbow fish but I’m hesitant because I’m afraid they’d get sucked up in my aquaclear 70 (I know you can put a cover on the intake to prevent this but I’d rather not) and it’d be hard to keep track of them. Am I being overly cautious?

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there a reason you don't want to cover the intake? You can get some super looking stainless steel ones that are popular in aqua escaped tanks as to not suck in shrimp an extra bonus is that larger debris won't end up in your filter! The sponge ones are great too granted not as stylish but they in turn create extra surface area for you bb. I'd cover the intake of it was preventing me or making me fear for my stock.how big are the forktails ? I think if they're anywhere close to an inch you should be ok regardless

KeyboardCat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Spiny eels would work. Either peacock, or half banded, would do well but i'd prefer barred eels if you can find them, as they are fairly rare in my experience. They're extremely playful, love to dig, and are curious about generally everything. They don't uproot plants, the only fish i would worry about are neon tetras, or something of a similar size. They are only able to eat frozen, or live bloodworms, or brine shrimp (they won't eat freeze dried food, pellets, or flakes.), but those are easily found at any lfs, petsmart, or petco. They're only territorial with their own species, so you won't have to worry about any fish that stay around the bottom of the aquarium being attacked, not that the eel could do anything, considering that they most likely do not have teeth, and if they do, the teeth are much too small to do any damage to another fish. With their cute faces, and curious personalities, they're honestly some of the best fish for any aquarium over 30 gallons.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lissi Kat said:
Is there a reason you don't want to cover the intake? You can get some super looking stainless steel ones that are popular in aqua escaped tanks as to not suck in shrimp an extra bonus is that larger debris won't end up in your filter! The sponge ones are great too granted not as stylish but they in turn create extra surface area for you bb. I'd cover the intake of it was preventing me or making me fear for my stock.how big are the forktails ? I think if they're anywhere close to an inch you should be ok regardless
I thought covering it would decreased the flow and therefore efficiency of the filter. I tried moving some of the forktail but they are so fast I couldn’t catch them so they’ll stay in the 15 now that I know that tank isn’t too overstocked for them. They are under 2 inches (maybe 1.5 inches)

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ioana Dog said:
I thought covering it would decreased the flow and therefore efficiency of the filter. I tried moving some of the forktail but they are so fast I couldn’t catch them so they’ll stay in the 15 now that I know that tank isn’t too overstocked for them. They are under 2 inches (maybe 1.5 inches)
I think it would even itself out considering it acts as a prefilter so it doesn't clog up your main filter as much if that makes sense. Haha guess they made up your mind for you!

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lissi Kat said:
I think it would even itself out considering it acts as a prefilter so it doesn't clog up your main filter as much if that makes sense. Haha guess they made up your mind for you!
They did indeed. I was hoping to get rid of some of my 13 tanks but nope. I’m crazy fish lady.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom