What To Plant Next?

1. Oscarlover55

Oscarlover55 New Member Member

Hello.
    Was hoping for some suggestions for what to plant in the small gravel space on the right in attached photo.
    I have a 40 litre (10 gallon) aquastart 340 with 11 watt fluorescent tube lighting.
    Half gravel half sand substrate.
    I planted 2 amazon swords in the back left and a java fern is attached to driftwood.
    Also put some lilaeopsis in front left of tank.
    I am looking for a good foreground/midground plant for this space. As you can see driftwood runs over the top of the gravel.
    I have flourish root tabs already in the gravel.
    I will also be using flourish excel and comprehensive starting in about 2 weeks.
    Any suggestions ?

Attached Files:

2. SeattleRoy

SeattleRoy Well Known Member Member

Hi @Oscarlover55 ,

Cryptocorynes might look good in front of the driftwood, either C. wendtii 'Green' or C. wendtii 'Red'.

You might check out Ludwigia sp. 'Red' or Ludwigia arcuata X Ludwigia repens which is easy to grow. Ceratopteris (Watersprite) either broad or narrow leaf would do well also. An alternative foreground plant might me Marsilea minuta.

Ludwigia arcuata X L. repens (yellow/red plant center); Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze' bottom center
    29105150420_e0796db547_b.jpg

3. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

A good foreground plant would be Dwarf Sag. It spreads quickly and relatively easy to grow.

4. OP
    OP
    Oscarlover55

Oscarlover55 New Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I like the look of the crypts.

Funny you mention dwarf sag im going to put some in the midground ob the left

5. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

A good background plant that I feel would look good in the back right would be ludwigia dark red. It gets a nice deep red and had bigger leaves that can fill out. Progration is super easy

6. Ravynn

Ravynn Valued Member Member

I got a tissue culture of hydrocotyle tripartita japan and i have it growing in the front right hand corner of my tank. It's taken off really well. I have low light (lower than yours) and root tabs. I find you can manipulate it to make it look the way you want.

I also think a crypt would look nice.