What to look out for

Trigal

Hello, I just added my first set of fish to my cycled aquarium. I got 6 tetras. I am planning to add a sunset thick lip next Saturday but in the meantime, I have to monitor the ammonia levels this week, right? I'm worried about my filter handling the bio load, but I guess that is a normal worry. It's a wait and see kind of thing. Anyway, if my ammonia starts showing, at what point do I have to do somehting about it and what do I do? The next level is .25, then .50, then 1 ppm. I have a Master Kit. My ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20. I have a 29 gallon tank

Ghelfaire

It's reccomend to wait a week between fish batches in a newly cycled aquarium.

Trigal

Ghelfaire said:
It's reccomend to wait a week between fish batches in a newly cycled aquarium.
Yep, thanks for your reply. I was asking what to do if there are signs of ammonia with this first batch of fish. I presume a water change but was thinking there might be something that I would need to add in aquarium water to neutralize it.

Shambhalaubie

You can add Seachem Prime to the water which detoxifies the ammonia in your aquarium.

Ghelfaire

Trigal said:
Yep, thanks for your reply. I was asking what to do if there are signs of ammonia with this first batch of fish. I presume a water change but was thinking there might be something that I would need to add in aquarium water to neutralize it.
You shouldn't see any unless you are overfeeding.

kanzekatores

Yep your tank is already cycled; you shouldn't see any more ammonia, at least any that's there for very long. Best of luck with your tank. :)

JettsPapa

Even if your tank is cycled, it would still be a good idea to monitor the levels, which it sounds like you plan to do. Keep the combined ammonia and nitrite levels definitely below 1.0 ppm, and ideally below 0.5 ppm.

Top Bottom