What To Include With An Electric Blue Jack? 60 Gallon Tank

1. KevInLA Member Member

Hey guys, I originally had an idea to do an all male dwarf cichlid community tank with about 3-4 different species of dwarves. Yes, thered only be one of each kind in the tank, I wanna have with some corysouth, another schooling group and a pleco. It'll be a 60 gallon tank....
    After my LFS told me about the electric blue jack, I can't help but want one of those too. I know they get about 6-8"and are generally on the peaceful/slightly aggressive side.

My question is, if I get the electric blue jack young enough, can it coexist with the other fish I named? If the corys are the issue are there any other bottom feeding schoolers I can put in place of the corys? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for the replies.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would do Pictus Cats. They are 3-5 inches and do well in groups of 3+.

3. KevInLA Member Member

Didn't even think about pictus. Good call.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions?
    Pictus cats need a 75g minimum, imo.

How about Dianema longibarbs or urostriatum instead?

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Most places say that 20 gallons plus is good. I have never heard anyone say 75 is the minimum. My group of 3 do great in a 29 and are full grown at 3-4 inches.

6. KevInLA Member Member

Those could be viable options. My main concern is not having the jack eat my lovely bottom feeders. I'm thinking of doing a top dwelling school of something that won't get eaten either. I also wanna try to include an apisto, and a ram at least.

My tank dimensions would be 48x15x18

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I also wanna try to include an apisto, and a ram at least.

No idea on the apisto. The jack will either outcompete the ram for food or just kill it.

8. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Pictus cats absolutely do not belong in a tank less than a standard 55 - I have four in mine and I need an upgrade. The foot print of the tank is important, but 20g or 29g is most definitely way too small. @goplecos if your pictus are full grown at that size, they are stunted from growing up in a 29g tank. They should easily reach 5" before they stop growing. Pictus are also fairly soft bodied and can be injured by aggressive fish, plus their long barbels are magnets to nippy fish and often get bitten, which is not cool because those are their sensory organs and bad things can happen if they get damaged.

I won't threadjack right now, but if anyone is curious about the risks and ill effects of keeping pictus in anything smaller than the FOOTPRINT of a 55 (48" long), feel free to contact me and I'll tell you my story. I went through a lot to save my cats from the damage I did to them, and one is permanently stunted - full grown at 3-3.5".

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

@goplecos if your pictus are full grown at that size, they are stunted from growing up in a 29g tank. They should easily reach 5" before they stop growing.

I researched Pictus Cats a lot before I got them. Almost everywhere say that 3-5 inches is regular, and that 5 is massive. They are always super active, and I have never seen them even a little stressed.

I did not know about the soft body though, thanks. Luckily, they are with peaceful fish

10. KevInLA Member Member

Luckily I have time, as my tank won't be here until this weekend and still have to cycle. I really like corys. I'll probably go with a blue acara or maybe a tbar with the dwarves. The eyes so many options, I want them all, haha.

11. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

How about a striped Raphael catfish? I have one and I love him. I'm not sure if they do well with their own kind but I'd imagine if you set them up with a bunch of caves you could have two or three, and they'd stake out territories. Mine has his stump that he lives in and he doesn't bother anyone, just hangs in the stump until lights out and then comes out to cruise and eat. When I wake up he is usually stuffed into a clump of java moss like so:

IMG_7910.JPG

He thinks if his head is covered I can't see him :)

They don't get huge (supposedly 5-7" but mine is at least 4-5 years old and only 4-4.5") and they're not aggressive whatsoever but they are heavily armored and can easily defend themselves against cichlids.

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The reason I say a 75 minimum for pictus is that they get 5-6 inches and are schooling fish, and extremely active. A 55 wouldn't be terrible though.