What To Get for my 2.5 Gallon?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an empty 2.5 gallon tank and I'm wondering what to get for it...my friend Rose suggested perhaps a frog or a snail and some freshwater plants, which is intriguing, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd agree with Rose. In my opinion, a 2.5 gallon tank is too small even for the smallest tetras like neons. I never saw anything smaller at my LFS than neon tetras, so I don't know what smaller fish I could suggest for you. But plants, a snail, and some tiny frogs sound great

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really don't know. If yes, maybe it depends on the kind of fish fry. I raised 11 angelfish fry in a 10 gallon tank but when they grew bigger, I transferred them to a 30 gallon tank, so that their growth is not stunted. I think the size of a breeder tank should match the requirements of the particular species you want to breed. If the fish you're breeding are very small in adulthood, you probably won't need a large tank to raise them (unless you have a large number of them). Angelfish grow to be 4-6" tall, so you need a large breeder tank for them, unless you'll transfer them to a bigger grow-out tank as I did. If you raise too many fish (or fish that naturally grow large) in a very small tank, their growth will be stunted and they may not be healthy later on in their lives. Fish like angelfish have large fins and need lots of space for the fins to develop properly.

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
i use my 2 gallon tank for a nursery for about 15 days then the babies are shipped to my 10 gallon...and they're all perfectly fine.
i do 15-20% water changes everyother day in my 10 gallon tank, i take the water that's being changed out and put it in my nursery(2gal) tank and the fish so far have been great...because the water de-toxicated and everything great.
but also then again i've only put up to 10 babies in there...the other ones were food for the other fish..because or else there's to many.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not going to be having any fry, I'm pretty sure of that. Corys don't breed well in captivity and I'm not breeding my betta, I just don't have the space for the setup to do it.

I don't really want to put a fish in either, I have fish already. And I don't like shrimp or I'd get some. I'd like something interesting but obviously don't want to put it in some version of an aquatic oubliette.

I'd get a small clawed or firebellyed toad frog but I hear those need company, so I'm thinking I might get a plant or two and also put in perhaps a snail and maybe an African Dwarf Frog. Would that work perhaps?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know the case of other fish, but when I was raising angelfish fry, I did 50% DAILY water changes for the first two months of their lives. Then I gradually decreased the water changes and am currently doing 50% twice a week (my baby angels are about 5 months old now).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom