Question What to feed sparkling gourami

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I finally got one! I had asked the LFS to get me some in and the two first times I checked in they hadn't yet ordered them. The next time they had sold all but one! At least they are popular so they may reorder.
Anyway, she (no idea the gender, it is just so little that she sounds right) is tiny and shy. I have been using premium flake on the theory that as a gourami she should happily come to the surface to feed. I have never seen her do so. Frozen blood worms are almost bigger than her! Does anyone have any experience of what is best to feed them?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Regular tropical flakes will be acceptable, however, she will not come to the surface until she is secured, and used to her new home. Or perhaps when she gets bigger and less afraid of the other fish in the tank. Make sure there are flakes sinking down to her, she will eat them if she has no other fish trying to fight her for it.
What I've gotten into lately is live brine shrimp. Brine shrimp are very very small, but very nutritious. Especially for new borns and smaller fish who need more nutrition.
Freeze dried foods are good too, but if the food it bigger than the fish then I suppose there would be some difficulty for her.

Raising live brine shrimp is as easy and getting some house hold items together, finding a free air pump, and buying the eggs from the LFS.
This video was very helpful for me;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNkHPuGaqo

As for determining the gender of your gourami, the easiest way to tell is if it's dorsal fin is rounded at the back, or if it comes to a point.
Here is a site that was helpful to me;

I hope this helped!
-Ben

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. I have a jar of freeze dried tubifex worms. Not sure why I didn't think of that. It crumbles to a very small size. I'll alternate that with the flake.
Brine shrimp will be my next project.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sparkling Gouarmis are great little fish. Mine eat flakes, occassional freeze dried brine shrimp and sometime frozen daphnia.

What tank is it in? They're pretty shy little fish.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is in a 28 litre I set up specifically (my signature is not strictly accurate - it would take too much space). I do have two croaking gourami in there as well. I was going by a guide I read that suggested those three would be OK in a small tank. I can rehome later when they grow. ATM they all hang together at the back. It has dark substrate, a large ornament they can swin through and lots of silk plants, rather than real so I don't have to light it too much. I tried to make it as sheltered as possible.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally, I'd go closer to a 10g for these little beauties but they don't use up a lot of swim space and don't carry a big bio load.

I don't know if (Sparkling) Trichopsis pumila and (Croaking) Trichopsis vittatus can inter breed, but you might have aggression issues if two pair up.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would try brine shrimp (frozen or live. i dont like freeze dried, but thats just me). my blue wouldnt eat untill i tried them. then i slowly swapped them out with different flake foods (betta, tropical, pond and goldfish), and now she eats every thing i put in the tank (except frozen vegtables... i guess kids arent the only ones that dont like their veggies XD).

u may wunna just put the food in and walk away if she wont eat because she's too shy. i had to do this, but now mine is used to me being by the tank (i have a recliner in my room right next the tank) but she still freeks out if i move too fast... we're getting there, but rather slowly lol

good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom