what to feed RCS?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the FL care sheet: Will eat biofilm from plants. Also will eat various algae types of algae and sinking pellets/extra fish food

Need moss to climb on. In smaller tanks may need calcium supplement.

HTH.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
that did help thanks +1 i guess its good they are going in a planted fry tank were not all of the food is eaten...

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a guess midthought, but I imagine it would be because a larger volume has more calcium dissolved in it ???

Whether it be from dissolved minerals (i.e. in rivers etc), or from water companies not removing/adding calcium to their water.

Again, purely a guess

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My RCS currently reside in a fry grow out tank, and they nibble on everything. They clean up the plants, a bit of the algae as well as left over food. They seem to particularly love eating left over thawed pea that I feed my fry occasionally. I've seen four of them together for about 2 hours picking off the same fragment of pea, which ends up disappearing thanks to them Try to make sure any food that goes in the tank has no or very very little copper in it (should be in the ingrediants list). Although there is debate as to whether copper content in fish food harms them (rather than just copper present in the water), it's still better to be safe than sorry IMO

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok same here they will be living with 3 week old guppy fry,in a planted tank. so i dont think ill need to give them any special food. am i right?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think that you should still supplement their diet, because they deserve their own feeding instead of scavenging off the meager leftovers of the other inhabitants.

I would suggest feeding Hikari Crab Cuisine or Hikari Algae Wafers, or, even better, if you can grow an algae farm outside and feed then the algae with all those bacteria and protists swimming among it...the guppy fry might enjoy that too.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i keep about a dozen in a fry tank for cleanup, i don't feed them specifically, since the fry are overfed all the time. I still end up vacuuming up lots of leftovers daily.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have Amano shrimp in my cleanup crew and feed them zucchini daily. About calcium, crushed eggshells in a mesh bag should suffice, though I never supplement my shrimp with calcium and they do fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom