What to feed prawns

Alejandro

My son Alejandro rescued half a kilo of prawns from an asian food market today.

Does anyone here have experience with keeping prawns ? These are big eating prawns from temperate marine environment.

He's all ok with the care of temperate marine and has lots of tanks but we haven't had prawns- he's had a wide variety of shrimp and crabs but they all come with arms with claws and eat pieces of nearly anything dropped on the floor.

These are prawns without claws and perhaps filter foods? We tried Artemia and it looks like they were aware of them but didn't actively catch them.

They just arrived and looked in bad shape at the market so maybe they are still recovering but most are now swimming and active and have dug into the sand and some are completely buried. They are strong and flip.away quickly if we dig them or try to hold one - they were limp and weak when we got them and 6 didn't survive (about 20 are fine) but that's ok we can't keep all of them and he fed the dead ones to his octopus and moray eel.

He'd like to keep a "school" of them so if anyone has advice on how to get them eating he can do that and we won't have to turn them all into octopus food.

smee82

Im not really sure but if they're filter feeders i would try green water and inforsora or however its spelt, it took me long enough to remember the word let alone the spelling.

Also i thought they might be mantis shrimp if you got them from an asian market but they're not filter feeders so i doubt it,do you have pictures you can share.

Upvote 0

Alejandro

Also i thought they might be mantis shrimp if you got them from an asian market but they're not filter feeders so i doubt it,do you have pictures you can share.

They are definitely prawns - will try to take a photo - we think they may be southern king prawns Melicertus plebejus.
Alejandro with one of his rescued prawns

Attachments

• 20210227_123444.jpg
    20210227_123444.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RickyRicardo1838
Replies
Views