What to Feed Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryz23

Reaction score
I got two new baby oscars about 3 weeks ago and I want to know if I can start feeding them something else besides the pellets at this time. Any answers?

Thanks,

Nathan

Akili

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore For two oscars, a 75 gallon tank is the absolute minimum. 55 US gallon tank is the absolute minimum tank size to house an adult oscar.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
Welcome to Fishlore For two oscars, a 75 gallon tank is the absolute minimum. 55 US gallon tank is the absolute minimum tank size to house an adult oscar.
Only one oscar would work in a 75. None would work in a 55, it's too small for them. A 75 also isn't ideal, you should have bigger if possible.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got two new baby oscars about 3 weeks ago and I want to know if I can start feeding them something else besides the pellets at this time. Any answers?

Thanks,

Nathan
Crickets, blood worms, cichlid sticks, shrimp, prawns, white fish, super worms will all be fine for Oscars. You should move them to a larger tank before you feed them any of these things. Oscars grow fast. And 10 gallons is too small for even a grow out for them.

Shrimp, prawns and white fish should be fed as treats. Pellets, sticks, and crickets can be fed daily.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a bigger tank they would grow an inch per month, so you really do need a bigger tank asap. Oscars will exceed 12-14" in a bigger tank than a 125, so I always recommend a tank that's at least 2 ft wide and high.

All the foods BDpups mentioned are good, except true prawns, some of which contain thiaminase which inhibits the uptake of vitamin B. Oscars are mainly insectivores in nature, so all insects are good.

northrunner

Reaction score
Because Oscars grow very fast
And they have big appetites you can take them off all pellets also because they are very messy eaters, and start them on frozen shrimp and the likes. They will love it. My little guy eats one shrimp 4 to 5 times a day. You will have to get them into at least a 4 foot aquarium soon as they will get big fast. And the more water you can move through it the better.

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome!

Tell us about your aquarium and set up. I'm on a tablet and haven't looked at your profile, so I am just guessing that's where the idea that you have just the ten gallon aquarium came from.

Hopefully we can come to some good advice about how to make this all work out.

I know what I fed Oscars in the past, but it's been many years ago that I had any. But back then, my observation was that they are real chow hounds, and loved just about anything I offered them. So I probably fed them some things I shouldn't have!

But the Oscar-experienced people on here should have some good advice about what is best for them. Everyone is really pretty friendly here. They're just passionate about giving the fish they love the best possible homes and care. Don't take it as a personal attack.

We all started somewhere, and probably with a small tank, and too many or too big fish ourselves! The pet stores often stock baby Oscars, and they're beautiful and attractive, and at that size, look perfect for a small tank.

So don't feel alone! It really should be the store's responsibility to council new aquarists when selling them various fish. But they often don't. Forums like this one are a good source of information. But a lot of times, what we get is not the kind of news or information we were expecting or hoping for.

Sorry about that!

Don't be offended. Please stay and join us.

Tell us about your setup and what possibilities there are for future expansion, etc.

The main thing is that you end up with a great aquarium that gives you the pleasure it should, and works well for the fish. But watch out: You may end up with more and more and bigger and bigger aquariums as time goes on!

Heck, everyone is already trying to get you to set up a 125 gallon tank right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom