What to feed guppy fry

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I’m currently feeding my 50-100 guppy fry tetra min tropical flakes, and they haven’t been growing as fast as normal so do any of you have any recommendations on what to feed the fry simply to get them to grow the fastest? How hogh can I raise the temp with the fry?(for faster metabolism)

OP
CoryBoi

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I just feed flakes to mine when they breed years ago.
I have been breeding and raising guppy fry for a year or two now and have always used flakes, but there must be something better for growing them out.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CoryFan said:
I have been breeding and raising guppy fry for a year or two now and have always used flakes, but there must be something better for growing them out.
If you say so.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CoryFan said:
So I’m currently feeding my 50-100 guppy fry tetra min tropical flakes, and they haven’t been growing as fast as normal so do any of you have any recommendations on what to feed the fry simply to get them to grow the fastest? How hogh can I raise the temp with the fry?(for faster metabolism)
I wouldn't raise the temp. Leave that as is. I used to feed mine HirakI first bites. Another great source of protein for guppy fry is egg yoke. Boil an egg and take the yoke and put it in a container and take a toothpick and get a tiny amount on the tothpick and they will eat it up. You can even feed your other guppies this or pretty much any fish for that matter. But be sure not to add too much as it may cloud your water. That's why I suggest the toothpick

OP
CoryBoi

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I should probably mention they are all nearing 1/2 - 1 inch

Amazoniantanklvr said:
If you say so.
I'm not saying flakes are bad, they are all I use. I was just kind of trying to say that I already feed them flakes and I was wondering after a year of feeding flakes if there was something better.

kallililly1973 said:
I wouldn't raise the temp. Leave that as is. I used to feed mine HirakI first bites. Another great source of protein for guppy fry is egg yoke. Boil an egg and take the yoke and put it in a container and take a toothpick and get a tiny amount on the tothpick and they will eat it up. You can even feed your other guppies this or pretty much any fish for that matter. But be sure not to add too much as it may cloud your water. That's why I suggest the toothpick
I just raised the temp of the main tank where the adult guppies live to 80, so I raised the grow out tank to 80 also so when I net babies out and put them in the grow out tank there is no temp shock. But I was wondering if going higher would help them grow faster.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would keep the tanks around 75. I believe the temp will speed up their life cycle but i'm not sure if it'll help them grow faster or cause issues down the line.

OP
CoryBoi

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I would keep the tanks around 75. I believe the temp will speed up their life cycle but i'm not sure if it'll help them grow faster or cause issues down the line.
I’m planning on adding gbr to my 40 gallon with the guppies, that’s why I raised it, and with the life cycle changing with temp I’ve hear different opinions. The only goal I’m trying to achieve is to grow out the babies as fast as I can.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CoryFan said:
I'm not saying flakes are bad, they are all I use. I was just kind of trying to say that I already feed them flakes and I was wondering after a year of feeding flakes if there was something better.
understood

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CoryFan said:
I’m planning on adding gbr to my 40 gallon with the guppies, that’s why I raised it, and with the life cycle changing with temp I’ve hear different opinions. The only goal I’m trying to achieve is to grow out the babies as fast as I can.
I'de personally leave them around their natural temp range. If your tank is planted most fry will survive.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CoryFan said:
I read an article about feeding written by an IFGA breeder. He said that feeding live baby brine shrimp to fry twice a day was ten times better than once a day. I started feeding my fry BBS twice a day, and it knocked my socks off how much faster my fry grew. You want to feed other foods too, but I'm a huge believer in BBS at least twice a day.

OP
CoryBoi

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GuppyDazzle said:
I read an article about feeding written by an IFGA breeder. He said that feeding live baby brine shrimp to fry twice a day was ten times better than once a day. I started feeding my fry BBS twice a day, and it knocked my socks off how much faster my fry grew. You want to feed other foods too, but I'm a huge believer in BBS at least twice a day.
do you think frozen baby brine will also show those results? I was looking into the brine though and heard that its a wonder food.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CoryFan said:
do you think frozen baby brine will also show those results? I was looking into the brine though and heard that its a wonder food.
Frozen BBS is a good food, but it isn't as good as live. It's recommended to feed live BBS as soon as feasible after the hatch, because it starts losing nutritional value as the egg sac gets used up. I don't have anything to specifically back it up, but I don't see how frozen could have the same nutritional value as live. Also, one of the benefits of live BBS is that they will live for some time after they're fed, letting the fry graze on live food for a long time. Live BBS also triggers the chase reflex and frenzy feeding instincts in the fry.

Live BBS will provide more nutrition and greater food intake than non live food.

CoryFan said:
Another necessity is culling. You can keep almost an unlimited number of guppies in a tank, depending on how frequently you do water changes, but the more space you give them will result in noticeably faster growth rate.

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I haven't bred guppies in almost 5 years now, but I did ages and ages ago.

+1 to BBS - you can feed that + daphnia frozen quite easily. And definitely more than once per day, especially in a bare-bottom tank. I don't do egg yolks simply because I don't keep eggs in my house anymore because I'm at the age where eating a french fry makes me fat so I eat fake eggs now. Edit: I feed frozen nowadays but used to "raise" my own BBS for fry. I haven't noticed any differences or issues since swapping to frozen, but I also don't really focus-breed them anymore. It's also incredibly easy to raise your own BBS.

As far as temp goes, I've always kept my tanks at 80F+ and not had any issues. I haven't noticed them "grow faster" or any of that. Guppies are actually very highly adaptable - well, most are. Some strains are certainly much more fragile than others (blame our inbreeding) but I have my doubts that you have one of those if you have 50-100 fry. ****, you can even acclimate them to saltwater tanks (they won't breed typically, but you can do it if you really want to science - I don't personally recommend this, of course).

+1 to culling. I don't kill mine like some breeders do unless they have a major deformity (which I haven't had to deal with in a very long time now) but drop them off at the LFS.

Cgtoxic

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I feed my fries:
HikarI fancy Guppy food (Crushed up)
HikarI Bottomfeeder food( I feed this to my cories, but the older fries love them too)
HikarI Frozen baby Brine Shrimp
Some sort of flakes ( Crushed up) and,
frozen bloodworms

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use an old electric coffee grinder. It works great for pulverizing fry food.

New Threads