What To Feed Coral Beauty Angelfish?

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feed mine LRS Reef Frenzy (best overall food source for any fish, corals and inverts IMHO) and supplement with dried Seaweed/Nori. Initially mine just grazed on algae around the tank but then switched to seaweed and then reef frenzy after a week or two. How big is your tank?

Here is what LRS Reef Frenzy has in one food source and why it is arguably the best food overall (unless you chop up and make your own fish food):

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
I feed mine LRS Reef Frenzy (best overall food source for any fish, corals and inverts IMHO) and supplement with dried Seaweed/Nori. Initially mine just grazed on algae around the tank but then switched to seaweed and then reef frenzy after a week or two. How big is your tank?

Here is what LRS Reef Frenzy has in one food source and why it is arguably the best food overall (unless you chop up and make your own fish food):

Right now I just feed pellets and frozen mysis, I see the angel grazing on everything too though. My tanks 100 gallons. I’ve been wanting to switch over to an all frozen complete diet, so I’ll pick something like the reef frenzy up next time I’m at the lfs. Is adding seaweed a necessity?

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good idea for switching over to frozen. It's a much cleaner food source. If it's relatively new then it's very common for dwarf angels do that. Some have had theirs go for even a month or two doing nothing but that. As long as it's just algae enjoy it while it lasts. When I added my former Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty together about 7 months ago they tag teamed and destroyed the hair algae in my tank. Too bad the YT went rogue as that was the most effective algae removal team I have ever had. As for the Seaweed, it depends if your tank is reef or FOWLR. If it's FOWLR then you don't really need to as much. If it's Reef then it is almost a must IMHO as Seaweed/NorI helps improve your odds against a Dwarf Angel turning on your corals.

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
Good idea for switching over to frozen. It's a much cleaner food source. If it's relatively new then it's very common for dwarf angels do that. Some have had theirs go for even a month or two doing nothing but that. As long as it's just algae enjoy it while it lasts. When I added my former Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty together about 7 months ago they tag teamed and destroyed the hair algae in my tank. Too bad the YT went rogue as that was the most effective algae removal team I have ever had. As for the Seaweed, it depends if your tank is reef or FOWLR. If it's FOWLR then you don't really need to as much. If it's Reef then it is almost a must IMHO as Seaweed/NorI helps improve your odds against a Dwarf Angel turning on your corals.
It kinda grazes throughout the day and then pops up and eats the mysis when I feed the tank. I actually don’t have much of an algae problem… I used to, but the tank is pretty algae free at the moment. I think I’ll switch the tank to frozen food and provide some norI maybe once or twice a week. As of right now, the coral beauty would probably be the only one eating it though.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You might be surprised. I have 2 wrasses that are supposed to be strictly carnivores that eat it.

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
You might be surprised. I have 2 wrasses that are supposed to be strictly carnivores that eat it.
Yeah I’m sure my clowns would actually probably eat it. They eat everythingo_O

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Actually clowns are Omnivores just like the Coral Beauty, so it is very likely that they will eat it.

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
Actually clowns are Omnivores just like the Coral Beauty, so it is very likely that they will eat it.
I bought the reef frenzy today, the”Nano formula” to be specific… I’m not sure if that’s any different than the regular, but it was the only small pack they had so I figured I would buy it to try to it out. Should this be a complete diet for the fish or will I need to supplement?

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Used to feed coral beauties at my last shop a mix of foods. Frozen brine, frozen mysis, nori, and New Life Spectrum foods.
Mine has currently eaten new life spectrum pellets, the reef frenzy frozen food and frozen mysis. I was thinking I’ll just feed the reef frenzy?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bettaf1sh 7789 said:
Mine has currently eaten new life spectrum pellets, the reef frenzy frozen food and frozen mysis. I was thinking I’ll just feed the reef frenzy?
any experience with Reef Frenzy. Feeding a dry pellet diet is fine but I always encourage mixing in a variety of foods, especially live or frozen fare.

OP
B

bettaf1sh 7789

Reaction score
Fahn said:
any experience with Reef Frenzy. Feeding a dry pellet diet is fine but I always encourage mixing in a variety of foods, especially live or frozen fare.
Okay. The reef frenzy is basically just a big variety of frozen foods, I’d have to look at the ingredients again to see what specifically is in it. So I’m thinking just the reef frenzy supplemented with the pellets I have then. The coral beauty isn’t too interested in the pellets, but the other fish will eat them.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There is no need to supplement pellets. All they will do is add extra yuck to your tank water. I do just reef frenzy supplemented with Seaweed/Nori. Not sure on the difference with the Nano formula but here is what the regular stuff has:

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didn't know Reef Frenzy was frozen, I've only used SFB or HikarI frozen foods.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
I didn't know Reef Frenzy was frozen, I've only used SFB or HikarI frozen foods.
Reef Frenzy is essentially an omnivore buffet and arguably the cleanest of the bunch to boot (no fillers). I have tried a wide variety of other foods and the only thing that would be better would be if you bought the raw seafood and chopped it up and froze it yourself.

New Threads