What To Feed Bristlenose Pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by TinaJen, Apr 13, 2018.

1. T

TinaJen New Member Member

Hi I'm new to fish forum so please forgive me if I'm on the wrong board or something for this question. I just got a albino BN pleco yesterday it's only an inch and a half in size and I'm just wondering how best to feed it. I know it needs alge and veggies and I do have driftwood in my tank (30 gallon). But I also have 8 platties and 2 mollies, the mollies are my mom's she didn't want them anymore and so I just put them in my tank but my main problem is the mollies are kind of bullies and eat/protect the alge wafers from the pleco. So any ideas on the best way to feed my pleco without the mollies getting to it first? PS. Sorry for being so wordy.lol

2. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

Feed the mollies to distract them from the wafer.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Good plan but I've tried that and the platties/mollies eat the flakes but the mollies are still eating all the wafers and keeping the pleco away from it... any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Jay Chen

Jay Chen New Member Member

Maybe have a pleco cave and put the food in there.

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Feed the pleco when it is most active, after the lights go out and the mollies are asleep. You can break the wafers up to spread them around the tank and try fresh veggies (unsalted green beans, broccoli, squash, cucumbers, peppers) around the tank (mollies eat everything including each other if they get the chance, I would rehome them if you don't want them).

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I usually feed several different types of food in the tank at different areas of the tank as I have platy's that do the same thing.

Offer some fresh veggies ( Zucchini works well on a BBQ skewer ) and place at different ends of the tank. That usually works best for me and everyone is happy.

baby pleco and nerite12-11-16.jpg

7. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

You can also feed peppers, cantaloupe, cooked carrots, raw spinach(I use a plant weight for that)Brussels sprouts....even the fish will enjoy them

I like to make a kabob, so that everyone can eat

8. OP
    OP
    T

Ohh a kabob! Nice. What do you use to skewer the veg with and do you have to do anything special to the stick thing before putting in the tank?

9. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I have stainless steel chopsticks and skewers, which I use. You can get the skewers at Canadian Tire during bbq season, and the chopsticks came from an oriental store, sold as regular cutlery

I don’t do anything special to the sticks, just wash without soap using paper towel. Usually my veggies are raw too, unless they are hard like carrots. If I can bend it easily, it goes in raw.

I’ll try anything that’s not acidic. They go nuts for various melon but it’s gotta come out in only a couple hours because it’s mostly water and falls apart quickly.....as opposed to raw veggies which can go in overnight and come out in the morning.

Snap peas are funny- I put those in raw once, opened up, whilst I had the sorority. The pleco had fun on the shell while the Bettas swam around with the peas as though they were balls

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice