What to feed a nerite snail?

Idkitsathrowaway
I had a brown algae outbreak abought a month ago. 95% of it was on the gravel so I got a snail. My betta ignores her, and now she's pretty much out of algae. I was wondering what or if I should feed her. I have a mystery snail in my 10g that i haven't fed and he's only grown like a inch of shell. she is my first nerite snail and I do not know much. what should I feed her and how much. She's a little small but I think she's young. 4/5 inch at the longest. Algae wafers? how much a piece a week? half? one every couple days? No clue. and don't know how to go abought getting this info so i'm here.

May be important, no my betta will not steal food, I had a few neons with him and he didnt recognize there food as edible, he didn't even get a couple inches of if looking back. so if its not brine shrimp or pellet he doesn't think of it as food.

Advertisement
mattgirl
I don't know about your nerite but you may want to start feeding your mystery snail. Mine seem to always be hungry so I feed them well. Both Mom and babies clean up algae wafers in a heartbeat. They also like their fresh veggies. Right now they are eating blanched zucchini. If you have live plants and don't feed your mystery it will start eating the plants out of desperation.

Even though I feed them well they are still constantly cleaning the glass. They even keep the roots on my floating plants and leaves of my other plants clean without damaging the plants.

Idkitsathrowaway
I have live plants, not a single bite, I also have 3 kuhli loaches super fat is what they are. I think it from the food my guppies don't eat, I tend to over feed them just in case for the snail and kuhlies.

StarGirl
Nerites eat a lot of biofilm and algae more than anything I think. Leave 3 panes of your tank glass dirty for them to graze on. Clean just the front. It should be ok. My Nerites have not really ever eaten food I put in for them.

mattgirl
I have live plants, not a single bite, I also have 3 kuhli loaches super fat is what they are. I think it from the food my guppies don't eat, I tend to over feed them just in case for the snail and kuhlies.
Little guy must be getting lots to eat then. Good job. You may want to offer it algae wafers from time to time if you can keep your guppies from stealing it :)

Idkitsathrowaway
okay i will soon im abought to upgrade to a 29 and get a pleco(dwarf snowball), so i kinda have to have algae wafers any good recommendations? got no clue how to find a good one.
but ya my guppies are AGRESSIVE eaters. more so than my betta, there to preoccupied twisting and turning looking for there next bite, and all snatching the same flake that alot of smaller flakes fall to the bottom.

Advertisement
mattgirl
okay i will soon im abought to upgrade to a 29 and get a pleco(dwarf snowball), so i kinda have to have algae wafers any good recommendations? got no clue how to find a good one.
I don't know if it is the best but I feed mine Hikari mini algae wafers. I also feed Omega one Veggie Rounds and have just ordered Kelp wafers for the first time. Hoping my mystery snails and Plecos will like them. I read that rabbit snails like them so hoping mine will.

StarGirl
I have Sera wafers with wood, Bug bites Algae wafers, and some bulk wafers from my lfs. I think they are spirulina base. She like fresh veggies better though.

Idkitsathrowaway
Okay thankyou! my lfs sells some of those!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
drabina
Replies
Views
Greenplant
Replies