What to feed a Gourami?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by drewnation, Nov 25, 2012.

1. drewnation

drewnationNew MemberMember

I have a honey gourami and 2 platys. The platys will eat the fish flakes everytime i put them in the tank. The gourami on the other hand shows no interest in the flakes. I also have some freeze dried worms that i feed my betta but he shows no interest in those either ( i wonder if this is normal like maybe gourami wont eat from the surface of the water??). I got some frozen blood worms and put 1 cube in the tank and it looked like he may of eaten some of them but less than half if i had to guess. Is this normal? The gourami has been in the tank now for over a week and worried that he's not getting enough food. Is there any other foods you would recommend?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I feed all my fish New Life Spectrum betta pellets. Most of my fish are bettas, which have similar needs to Gouramis. My Gouramis have always taken really well to betta pellets. Labarynth fish do much much better on pellets rather than flakes.

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree.

4. hcroarkValued MemberMember

That's good to know about the pellets. My pearl gourami eats flakes fine but I think I'll get her some pellets too.

5. OP
    OP
    drewnation

thanks for the info, what about the current betta pellets i have now, think he would eat those as well until i get the others?

6. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

You could try them, sure.

7. OP
    OP
    drewnation

Success!!! he ate half a cube of frozen bloodworms last night!! Had a turkey baster and put them near him last night (employee at petsmart said they feed them bloodworms at night so thats when i fed him). They were all gone today! Wonder if he can survive on them only or should i switch it up, not sure how i can get him to eat pellets but going to try, thanks yall!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice