What to feed a finicky mystery snail?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Aquaphobia, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I was under the impression that mystery snails would eat my plants but decided to risk one anyway because they're so cool. I got lucky I guess because mine will only eat the really soft stuff like algae or cucumber (loved that) but doesn't touch my plants. Now I'm worried that she's not getting enough calcium in her diet so I sank a piece of cuttlebone and some leafy greens that are supposed to be high in calcium. She hasn't touched any of it! I'm going to try some zucchini and I'm betting that, like the cucumber, she'll eat it all up. Is there anything I should be giving her that's good for her or should I just let her eat what she wants?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Bijou88 might know. :) Tagging her so she'll find this thread.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I had to go out for groceries early this morning so I stopped in at Walmart to see what they had in the fish section. I found 2 types of algae wafers, one by Wardley that had copper in it, and one by Tetra that didn't and seemed to be made with a variety of veggies. They were fortified with calcium, would that be recommended or since she seems to be healthy should I just carry on with fresh veg?

4. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

Nothing with any copper! That could kill ur snail. Sometimes i blend up fresh veggies and fruit that are rich in calcium and feed the smoothie to my snail with a pipet

Kyle

5. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I know, that's why I mentioned it ;) Since she only seems to like the softer stuff, would it help if I slightly cooked the veggies I want her to eat?

6. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Ha! Just walked in there to offer some zucchini and discovered that she was chowing down on the leafy stuff :p

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It takes about 12 hours for the leafy stuff to break down enough that my snails like it too. My go CRAZY over frozen or no salt added canned green beans, they've got a decent amount of calcium for them too. Mine also prefer zuchini over cucumber but just like with leafy greens they like it best after its been in there for a while. Pictures of an adult and baby mysteries with green beans, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Great, thanks for that Bijou! The leafy greens didn't get nibbled much and they still look fresh so I think I'll leave them for a bit longer. I blanched a piece of zucchini and lodged it in a decoration and my snail pretty much "galloped" towards it :p The deer ate my green beans but maybe they missed one. I'll look closely tomorrow, buy some if I have to, and maybe I can try one of those on her :)

Um, how often should I offer her fresh foods?

9. Bijou88

I leave some kind of veggie in there 24/7 for my snails and pleco. I usually have a fresh one and a 12ish hour old one.

10. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Poor girl! And here I've been expecting her to fend for herself in my tank :( For the record though, she's done a brilliant job of cleaning up the debris from all the plants that had a tough time thriving in this tank. From now on she'll be treated better :)

11. Bijou88

Good to hear! Btw, even when they're well fed they still like to eat dead plant matter so she should still munch on that, mine do. They do a good job of cleanup, but yeah, they need some good food of their own too. Some of mine also enjoy an occasional sinking catfish or shrimp pellet. :)

Oh, in case you don't already know, the cuttlebone dissolves releasing calcium into the water so she doesn't have to eat it to get the benefits. You should leave it in there until it's mostly gone, then just throw a new piece in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice