Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone.
My tiger barb has ick, and I just removed it. But it seems that every time I turn my back, I look back in and he has ick on him! I do not know what to do: try and cure him, or put him down . Please help me!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jack, you have at least 2 other threads about this. Posting new threads is not likely to get you a different response, and will confuse members about what you've already been told.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OP
catfishlover123

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I meant the 2 threads you've started about it, not other people's threads. You can't hijack your own.

I know you are worried and stressed about your fish, and want them to be better.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/69460-how-my-fish-react.html
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-aquascaping/69510-how-clean-decor.html
Ick killed almost my entire tank population a few months back, so I am worried and I am trying to heal them as soon as I can.

OP
catfishlover123

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think removing the ick and putting him in another tank is good, but I can't because the 10 gallon is in storage and my mom does not want to set it up, and my mom has another one, but a mean gourami is currently occupying that and it will kill any fish that will cross it's path- or water, I should say . Anyways, I don't know what to do.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, the answer to your main question is: it is always iffy to medicate a fish. There is a decent chance the fish will die. I do not know if smaller fish are affected more than larger.

Hopefully, a mod will see this and maybe merge your threads.

OP
catfishlover123

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for the answer. But I STILL don't know how to help the little guy or where to store him while the tank is recovering...

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Iv Just Had an Ick Outbreak in my tank and i left the fish in their normal environment because ick can be caused by stress so moveing them is likly to stress them even more, and all i did was add the medication to the tank and after 1 week the ick was totally gone and now its 3 weeks later and the fish are happy, so my advice leave him in your tank buy some meds and treat him ASAP.

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope, None of my fish died. Iv had 4 out breaks in 10 years and lost 2 fish. Ick is only deadly if you leave it tooo late to treat, as the longer you leave it then the spots get furter up the body and eventually reach the gills and the sports cause the fish to slowly supphocate as the carnt breathe. I Think Anyways.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not even sure what the question is anymore, since it sounds like to me you've answered your own question -- you basically have NO other options but to medicate and deal with whatever minicycle happens after that. Even if you're worried about your smaller fish (as per https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/69460-how-my-fish-react.html), I don't see how you're going to get around dosing the tank somehow. You can't treat some and not the others and expect to get rid of ich in your tank.

How is your tank recovering if you haven't treated for ich in the slightest? If you want to treat your barb separately but can't use a tank you have in storage, you could try a different container, but I don't know why logically your mom would let that pass just so she doesn't have to set up the tank. And again, at this point your whole tank is at issue, not just the one fish with visible spores. Even if you got the barb to *full health* while in a hospital tank, introducing him back to your untreated community tank is just going to undo all that.

Also, it seems wholly unnecessary to euthanize a fish over ich. This whole issue is mindboggling. It sounds like you need to talk to your family calmly so that they understand what the issue is. This can all be fixed for the price of a heater and a 2 dollar thermometer. If that's not doable, then you've already laid out your options.

Edit: okay, you're going to medicate. Good then, hopefully your fish will survive. Just keep an eye out on your parameters, because medication is liable to throw you into a minicycle that you'll be having to deal with in the coming weeks.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not even sure what the question is anymore, since it sounds like to me you've answered your own question -- you basically have NO other options but to medicate and deal with whatever minicycle happens after that. Even if you're worried about your smaller fish (as per https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/69460-how-my-fish-react.html), I don't see how you're going to get around dosing the tank somehow. You can't treat some and not the others and expect to get rid of ich in your tank.

How is your tank recovering if you haven't treated for ich in the slightest? If you want to treat your barb separately but can't use a tank you have in storage, you could try a different container, but I don't know why logically your mom would let that pass just so she doesn't have to set up the tank. And again, at this point your whole tank is at issue, not just the one fish with visible spores. Even if you got the barb to *full health* while in a hospital tank, introducing him back to your untreated community tank is just going to undo all that.

Also, it seems wholly unnecessary to euthanize a fish over ich. This whole issue is mindboggling. It sounds like you need to talk to your family calmly so that they understand what the issue is. This can all be fixed for the price of a heater and a 2 dollar thermometer. If that's not doable, then you've already laid out your options.

Edit: okay, you're going to medicate. Good then, hopefully your fish will survive. Just keep an eye out on your parameters, because medication is liable to throw you into a minicycle that you'll be having to deal with in the coming weeks.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.8%

Top Bottom