What to do:

1. atb224155

atb224155 Valued Member Member

I took a walk with my Husky mix, Mishka to Petco to shop for his little sisters birthday today and I saw some cute bettas today. I'm still mourning the loss of Shorty in some ways and would like to know from past experience of those who have suffered the loss of a betta before me "When is the time to move on and take in another?" Seeing the males brings back the memories and character that Shorty had that brought me joy.

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

I think this is a very personal and different case for everyone. Some people are ready for a new pet right away while others need a long time to mourn. There is no right or wrong length of time to wait. When you feel like it's right, that's when it's right.

I know that's not very specific, but it can vary so much even with the same person. Sometimes it takes me a very long time to feel ready to bring home a new pet after one has passes away. On the other hand, I brought the betta in my avatar home the day after I had to have a dog put to sleep earlier this year, just because that's what I felt like I needed at the time.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    atb224155

Thank you, FiscCyning. I haven't been looking since the loss of Shorty, but while I have looked at some members who own male bettas. I try not to either lose it and break down or get obsessed to where I would just go out and buy another. But I do miss having a male in my room.

4. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Maybe just glance at the store bettas a little to see if a specific one catches your eye. If you don't make a connection with one then you might not be ready yet. And that's fine. As I added to my first post (since I realized it was perhaps too vague) there are so many factors that influence how long it takes for us to be ready for another pet. It's always so hard to lose one of our babies, and only we can say when we are ready to welcome someone new into our home.

5. OP
    OP
    atb224155

Thank you, the next time I'm at either PetSmart or Petco, I'll take a look. What I have noticed is that when I was looking at some of the bettas, their have been more added to the front by the first cash register. Some are very pretty, but I'm looking for the one that calls out to me. Like when I was actively searching for a female and the one that I got, Michonne called out to me.

Advertisement