Question What to do?

insanedreams77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had three swords it was two females to one male but it turns out I had two males. I think he two males kinda tired out my female I was thinking of getting rid of one male and adding two females. But I don't know. I have a neon sword and a twin bar solar flare sword I think. Any good ideas of what should I do?

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep your 2 males as they are already settled in just add 2 new females and they will most likely breed with the new ones . If possible remove your current female into another tank if available . Just for a week or so , this way she can relax a bit. How large is your tank!?

insanedreams77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a ten gallon tank. The female sadly past on me before I could put it somewhere else. I always thought it was 2 females to one male.

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry to hear that! It isn't our fault , you didn't know. Leave your two males and get 3 new females that sure be a good ratio but careful of overcrowding they spawn like mad!

insanedreams77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I keep hearing that and I knew. I have another tank for fry fish. I am sad she pasted away I grew attach to her. She was a real trooper.

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fortunately she created several babies for you and hopefully you can keep one of those to remember her by. Like I said though 3 females sounds good. Mind posting some pictures so I can see your males

Skysong87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry for the loss of your fish

Unfortunately a 10g isn't large enough for swordtails. They grow quite large and I'm pretty sure the minimum tank size for them is a 29g. If your profile is correct the 10g you have is also a little overstocked.

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well i would upgrade the tank to a 20+ gallons so the swordtails have more room to run around in they much prefer a big wide aquarium and i would buy 3 more female sword tails

insanedreams77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya sadly I know my tank is overstocked. Everyone keeps telling me that. I guess I like pushing the limits but I love each and every one of them. I have weeded out my tank a few times. That is why I am thinking of giving my one male sword up and just getting one or two females like I planed in the first place. I do water changes every day or every other day for my fish.

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my 30g is probably overstocked a little and that is fine but all i am saying is don't be afraid to grab a cheap bigger tank as an upgrade i am currently looking in to 75 gallons even though i have no room for one at the moment ;D

Bettalover99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think op is okay as long as her fry are in a seperate tank , but as said upgrading would be good however right now I would keep the two males you have and get 2-3 new females , this is assuming you don't have any other fish

insanedreams77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just might leave my males alone for now. I need to put my one tank up but now I can't. I just don't have the money. I am just trying to get goo ideas to do.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom