What to do? Question

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by insanedreams77, Jan 4, 2013.

1. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I had three swords it was two females to one male but it turns out I had two males. I think he two males kinda tired out my female I was thinking of getting rid of one male and adding two females. But I don't know. I have a neon sword and a twin bar solar flare sword I think. Any good ideas of what should I do?

2. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Keep your 2 males as they are already settled in just add 2 new females and they will most likely breed with the new ones . If possible remove your current female into another tank if available . Just for a week or so , this way she can relax a bit. How large is your tank!?

3. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I have a ten gallon tank. The female sadly past on me before I could put it somewhere else. I always thought it was 2 females to one male.

4. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I'm sorry to hear that! It isn't our fault , you didn't know. Leave your two males and get 3 new females that sure be a good ratio but careful of overcrowding they spawn like mad!

5. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I keep hearing that and I knew. I have another tank for fry fish. I am sad she pasted away I grew attach to her. She was a real trooper.

6. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Fortunately she created several babies for you and hopefully you can keep one of those to remember her by. Like I said though 3 females sounds good. Mind posting some pictures so I can see your males

7. Skysong87Valued MemberMember

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish :(

Unfortunately a 10g isn't large enough for swordtails. They grow quite large and I'm pretty sure the minimum tank size for them is a 29g. If your profile is correct the 10g you have is also a little overstocked.

8. EthanWell Known MemberMember

well i would upgrade the tank to a 20+ gallons so the swordtails have more room to run around in they much prefer a big wide aquarium :) and i would buy 3 more female sword tails

9. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

Ya sadly I know my tank is overstocked. Everyone keeps telling me that. I guess I like pushing the limits but I love each and every one of them. I have weeded out my tank a few times. That is why I am thinking of giving my one male sword up and just getting one or two females like I planed in the first place. I do water changes every day or every other day for my fish.

10. EthanWell Known MemberMember

my 30g is probably overstocked a little and that is fine but all i am saying is don't be afraid to grab a cheap bigger tank as an upgrade :p i am currently looking in to 75 gallons even though i have no room for one at the moment ;D

11. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I think op is okay as long as her fry are in a seperate tank , but as said upgrading would be good however right now I would keep the two males you have and get 2-3 new females , this is assuming you don't have any other fish

12. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I just might leave my males alone for now. I need to put my one tank up but now I can't. I just don't have the money. I am just trying to get goo ideas to do.

13. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Go on ebay , I'm sure you can find something dirt cheap and of course it may have dirt but with a little tlc it can all work out

14. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I will do.

15. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Let me know if you find anything

16. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

Ok I will.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice