What to do...?

1. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

Hello FishLore! :;hi1

This morning I woke up to a soaked floor around the perimeter of my fish tank. :/ I checked the tank for leaks, before setting it up, but somehow somewhere, it has a leak!

I'm not gonna go out and waste my money on sealants, I'd rather just go out and buy a new one, because I bought this one second hand.

My main problem is that I've got a filter here, that is for up to 30 gallons. My tank was a 15 gallon tall.

So what should I be looking for? And my glass lid is a 10" by 20".

By the way, I'm not worried about the fish, because I never got to the point of buying fish, yet. :p

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Before you go out and buy a new one, are you sure the leak is not co1ming from the filter? If it is somehow blocked or not properly set up it could be the problem.

3. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

I've had the filter set up for almost a month. I don't know why it should just now start leaking :/ I mean, if that is the problem. It seemed to be properly assembled. Bio-wheel spins when it's on, water trickles from filter back into the tank.

4. Lupinus Member Member

Is it clogged and over flowing? Feel around and try to find the exact source

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

+1

Check all the components first. Don't assume it's the tank.

6. camel89 Initiate Member

Def possible it is the filter so I would check that first. Run your hand around the back and bottom of it to make sure its not wet.

What was your original question? What size tank to buy?

If so, buy any size that will work for you. And most should come with a lid so you shouldn't worry about that. If you buy something larger than a 20 gal then I would recommend adding another filter in addition to the 30 gal filter, or get one larger filter rated for a higher gallons than your tank.

7. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Find the source of the leak. That will guide you best.

8. jbdub Member Member

ghosts. ghosts definately did it. :jawdrop:

9. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

I still have maybe a quarter tank of water, left in it, and it doesn't seem to be leaking. I've had it this way for a few hours now, just to see, and because I can't exactly pick up the tank alone, lol.

...Perhaps it wasn't the tank at all! ...Perhaps the verdict was my pomeranian who had to potty while the whole household was asleep.

:;dete It was the pomeranian, in the livingroom, with a full bladder! Elementary, my dear Watson!

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Did it smell like piddle? Haha

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'd personally lay out some towels and fill it up a little and see if you can find the leak. I had one of my filters leak out of the blue once I cleaned the media and everything and it works perfectly again.

12. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

I've checked where I had the filter set up at, and there's no damp floor or puddle there. So I definitely think it was Spike. lol.

I don't have a proper stand for my tank, so it's sitting on a towel on a small side-table, and the towel itself is not wet, so I don't think it leaked.

...Sorry to bother you all FL :( I was just worried that my tank started leaking. I did get it second-hand at a flea market.

13. cameronpalte Member Member

I would not recommend buying tanks like that in the first place. Now that you've brought it up look into the possibility even though it didn't happen because of 2 reasons. 1, the most important fish could die from lack of water and we don't want fish to die!. 2, 15 gallons on a 100 sqaurefoot room floor (10ft, 10ft), is enough to cover the entire floor in several inches of water. For only $120, you can by a nice 55g+ kit at pet co.

14. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

what? you kinda confused me his tank isnt leaking what are you recommending his current tank is good. And a 55 gallon is way more than that

15. Piratefreak07 Initiate Member

I wish I had room for something like 55 gallons and up, but firstly: I live in a 2 bedroom trailer. Definitely not enough room for that. Secondly, I've only got enough money in my pocket for a brand new 10, 15, or 20 gallon :( So, I'll probably stick to those. Oh and third: I never got around to buying any fish lol. I was close, but not close enough. I still needed a heater, and some TSS.

16. Borisbbadd Guest

So it's not the tank, but the dog that was leaking ....:confused:

17. blu3dragon619 Member Member

if i was you, save that money and look on other sides like Craigslist and other kinds of sites for cheap stuff, if you do end up buying a new tank i would buy something that fits what u have already and it should save u a few buck or 2...