what to do?

1. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

my tank just recovered from ich and 3 fish died about a week ago. then 3 days later anotherfish died :-[.So i was just wondering if any1 had any thing similar happen to them.

the fish i have as of now are 4 serpae tetras,3 zebra Danio's,1 platy and a common pleco

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

fish off get rid of the pleco hel get to big for ur tank second r u medicating them at all third do a major water change is wat i owuld say and once ur done treating everthing get 1 more danio wait for gunie or buterly for more advies

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

4. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

my nitrate levels are 3(yeah i know their high) i dont know about ammonia

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Your nitrite level is past toxic. Do at least a 50% water change right away.

6. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

I just did a 60%water change i can't cheek the nitrate yet thought

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Very good. You may have to do another water change tomorrow. I think that's the reason you were losing your fish. Hopefully that will stop now.

8. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

the pet store where i got them said it might have been the ich medicine. thanks for ripling so soon

9. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

also does anyone have any suggestions for a bottom feeder?

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

How big is your tank? It all depends on that.
    cory catfish, (but more than 1 hopefully, they like to have a friend or 2) bushynose or bristlenose (i think theyre the same) plecos, ottos, um...thats all i can think of at the moment

11. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

my tank is 20 gallons

12. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

PS my platy is lonely soon going to get another one soon :

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

you actually might be able to get away with the common then.....well, you better wait for the experts on stocking to come along ;)

14. rob2uk Member Member

If you want something to to clean up the algae and uneaten food, you could do worse than Pseudogastromyzon myersi, also known as Sucker Belly Loach.

I have 2 in my tank, they do a pretty good job :)

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh right the loaches and general "algae eaters"...how could i forget my kuhli loaches? :'(
    ;)

16. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

how big do they get?

17. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

common plecos can get to about a foot long I think :eek:  my friend has a 10 gallon tank with a huge one and a sad-looking betta :(  actually its her brothers but he never feeds them :'(

18. rob2uk Member Member

The Sucker Belly Loaches don't even reach 2 inches

19. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

cool thats good 2 know

20. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Those "suckerbelly" loaches are also called hillstream loaches and are great algae eaters. However, they prefer strong current in the tank, and are really a coldwater fish, so please keep that in mind. Butterfly has some in her tank. She can tell you more. I had one a couple of years ago and they are quite fascinating when you see them, but stay hidden most of the time, at least mine did.

http://www.loaches.com/hillstream_loaches.html