What to do with unwanted dwarf gouramis

FishOverseer909

2 months ago I bought 3 dwarf gouramis (1 male 2 females) they fought a lot and I figured maybe it was the new tank and they were simply just acclimating to their environment however after a month and a half passed I noticed that there are small to medium sized slices on their tailfins so i figured it was time to return 2 of them however my pet store doesn't accept returns so now I'm stuck with 3 aggressive dwarf gouramis. What do I do?

bettafairy

You can try and sell or return them to another LFS or a chain pet-store. Sometimes you will have luck with trying various pet stores. Maybe find a local fish keeper or breeder through Facebook? You could also sell or trade them in the buy trade and sell part of the forum. I hope you can find a good home for them!

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

I've been looking at the buy and sell forum but I dont know how to ship fish

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

yeah the lfs I go to does "donations" of fish. Most of the local fish stores will allow for this (check some of the other lfs' in your area) but the chain pet stores don't.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

click the blue ship fish

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

That's bad your lfs won't accept returns :(

Out of interest can you post a pic of your tank? You may be able to reduce the aggression by rescaping and planting by breaking line of sight and giving hiding places. If you have the space to add more fish that could actually work too.

Dither fish such as a schoal of tetras may help the gouramis feel more relaxed and distracted. In theory that is.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

That's bad your lfs won't accept returns :(

Out of interest can you post a pic of your tank? You may be able to reduce the aggression by rescaping and planting by breaking line of sight and giving hiding places. If you have the space to add more fish that could actually work too.

Dither fish such as a schoal of tetras may help the gouramis feel more relaxed and distracted. In theory that is.
I cant send a pic right now Im in school but I can send one when I get back

Upvote 0

bettafairy

yeah the lfs I go to does "donations" of fish. Most of the local fish stores will allow for this (check some of the other lfs' in your area) but the chain pet stores don't.
My local pet smart allows for donations of fish. I wonder if the workers there do that without manager’s knowledge? Is it some kind of rule for chain stores?

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Oh ok, yeah not sure I heard from a few people that PetSmart doesn't take fish like that. But i bet it vary's from store to store

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Petco and Petsmart don't tank any outside fish. Not even returns, but they will refund it if it dies within 2 weeks and you can bring the body in.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

Maybe next time I go I'll ask again as i sell baby guppies to them so I dont see why a few DGs would be a problem

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Petco and Petsmart don't tank any outside fish. Not even returns, but they will refund it if it dies within 2 weeks and you can bring the body in.
Interesting. There are a lot of hobbyists who work at my pet smart, maybe they don’t follow the rules in order to take in unwanted fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Vesbit
Replies
Views
glassescat
Replies
Views
Pikephillips322