what to do with these snails

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Back in december I got some java moss from a local lfs. My tank soon had snails all over. Yesterday I vaccumed up about 25 of them. What should I do with them. Im trying to figure out how to dispose of them.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IM not sure what kind of snails they are, but they are a pest. When they die they add so much ammonia to my tank. They are pretty much wiped out, and I think im going to euthanize them. There such a pain.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they are probably mts, but what do they look like? snails aren't really the pest people think they are. snail population can be somewhat controlled by not overfeeding and doing gravel vacs. they are neat little things.

why not just have some, and not try to kill them all?

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind are they? are they tiny little ones no bigger than a match head? or are the big white one? we need more info as some snails can be elimanated and others are impossible to remove without gutting and cleaning your tank than buying a heap mof new gravel etc...

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if their shell is a cone, they are mts. if the shell is a circle ith a spiral pattern, it is ramshorn.
I am also curious of why they are dying in numbers great enough to effect your ammonia, this could indicate a problem. With proper feeding and rutine gravel vacums, they should not be very visable. I know i have them in my tank, as i see one or two in my water change bucket, but with weekly vaccums and limited feeding, i have yet to see one anywhere in my tank, although they are there in small numbers somewhere.
They are good because they eat excess food and algae, mass death will indicate a problem, and large amounts at the water line indicate low oxygen level. assasin snails, loaches, and puffers all eat them, but idk about tour stockikng. a blanched vegetable in a container placed in the tank overnight will lure them into the container, which can be removed the next day, along with the snails.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok sorry having a bad night and alot going on. They are mts snails, about the size of a matchead right now. There not dying, i posted that one with out explaining proplerly. I had a big snail a while back that died, and I did not find it for a couple days. It was rotting and the most disgusting thing ever, and I am not going to deal with that again. Now i do agree snails, are good, but I dont need all them. My tanks are well maintained with little algea, and i have my catfish to take care of the scraps. I have lost some snails, because the vaccumn water goes into the garden, and I can not see them in the black bucket until its to late, but what else am I to do, Im not going to pick throught them trying to save all of them.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear about your snail issues. Have you thought of checking with your local fish store (LFS)? Maybe they will take them from you and give you store credit if not cash. Wouldn't hurt to check if you haven't already.

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they are Malaysian Trumpet Snails post them in the buy/sell/trade forum. Many hobbyist will buy them for their tanks. MTS are good to keep the substrate(especially sand) loose and eat food that gets down in it.
Carol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Carol. I posted there looking for MTS myself just a few weeks ago.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom