What To Do With Panda Guppy Fry?

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have a small 2.5 gal tank with a mated pair of panda guppies. They just had their second batch of babies (the parents ate all but 1 from the first batch), so now we have way too many guppies in the tank and I don’t want the parents to eat the babies.

I was thinking of getting a nursury net and transitioning the babies into our larger tank until they mature. I am worried about in-breeding because they are all siblings.

Does anyone have experience with panda guppy babies? What do you do with the babies? I don’t know if okay to just let the mated pair eat them or not...it kinda seems wrong...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Livebearers eating their young is Nature's way of population control. They generally stop snacking after a couple of days, though, so once the babies look like miniature fish, rather than shards of floating glass, they are okay to live with the parents.

2.5 gallons is really small for a pair of guppies. Any chance of upgrading to a 5 or (better) a 10 gallon?

Your local lfs might give you credit for grown out fry.

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie thecat said:
Livebearers eating their young is Nature's way of population control. They generally stop snacking after a couple of days, though, so once the babies look like miniature fish, rather than shards of floating glass, they are okay to live with the parents.

2.5 gallons is really small for a pair of guppies. Any chance of upgrading to a 5 or (better) a 10 gallon?

Your local lfs might give you credit for grown out fry.
Thanks for the advice! We are looking to get a bigger tank but are waiting for our lfs to have its annual clearence sale Unfortunately they will not give us credit for the fry but they will take them to rehome, so that is an option.

Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom