What To Do With Old Fish Gravel?

Kysarkel000

Hey, I have some gravel from a tank I got from a friend. The tank sat outside for a while and now the gravel has a bunch of crudd in it along with what looks like cat vomit, hair, and little tiny plastic bits (I assume from an under gravel filter). It'd be a pain to pick out all the plastic bits and larger crudd, plus it's reeeeaaalllyyy dirty and I don't really like the gravel anyways... Soooo what do I do with it? It's a good 20lbs. Can you just throw it away in the trash? That seems wrong.

What do you guys do with your old fish gravel?

Fashooga

Trash it.

titusxander

I personally have used some of my old gravel in my plant pots. I place a good layer in the bottom of my pots to help with drainage. But my gravel is pea gravel without any added color, just natural, so I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Ohio Mark

"mulch" for the top of planters? I use old natural colored gravel on the top of potting material for succulents.

Basil

I’m replacing the pea gravel in my 29 g with sand. And like the other posters, I’m going to use it in my plants.
I have a large aloe Vera that I need to separate into smaller pots so the pea gravel is perfect. I would use colored gravel if that is what I had.

James079

You can use it in plants or beds as some sort of topper, bin it, if it was in a good condition you could reuse it in another tank but it doesn't seem like it is.

Kysarkel000

Thanks for the replies everyone! Good idea in using for plants, I have lots of them, so that'll be good lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom